Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stamps and race entries

Stamps and race entries

The post office is trying to put the price of second class stamps up to 55p. This made me think "I should send fewer letters". But when I thought about it, the only letters I send are race entries. Is there an easy way of entering races and paying online? Would it help to have an online version of the FRA form so that race organisers can use this?

As a race organiser myself, I wouldn't have a clue how to set up a registration and payment website. It is tricky or are we behind the times? I guess ROs would need to have the ability to limit the number of entrants.

Re: Stamps and race entries

Utilisation of pre-existing entry systems such as fabian4, SI entries etc.

They work really well for Orienteering events as all the electronic gubbins is (are?) in one place, so they'd easily cope with fell race requirements. I think they charge about 5% of total income.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

you could contact John Schofield at UKResults.net

Online entries are set up for Pendle this year.

It is probably a little cheaper but negligibly - there are clearly costs involved, but what it will do is allow the RO to run the event more smoothly and produce the results within 10 minutes of the last athlete finishing - as it's a Champs race this is quite important to allow presentations.
    It will also allow the athlete to pick up their numbers quicker and aid a more relaxed process for all.

I hope we have plenty of people using this method - it's relatively new to fell - but I am sure this will expand particularly for races with high numbers such as Pendle.

I use SI entries fairly often (as an entrant, not an organiser) - LDMT is on it but not many other 'fell' events, there are a lot of duathlons, sportives, trail races etc. It works well from an entrants point of view and is very convenient but I suppose there could be drawbacks - 'casual' entries from the less committed who might not turn up but still fill a place at the press of a button for example, and perhaps from our perspective the ability of the organiser to vet entries.

SLMM vet people through SIentries online entry. Most services have some degree of flexibility so the organiser can tweak and get what they want.

there could be drawbacks - 'casual' entries from the less committed who might not turn up but still fill a place at the press of a button for example
    this is a bit of a worry - you don't want people thinking they're entering something a Lakeland Trails race and then end up overfaced.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Steve & Wynn Cliff have a website for their race ( The Anniversary Waltz ... it also covers The Teenager With Altitude ) which takes on-line entries, directly. Try P.M.ing Wynn for details.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereven...120327%20(1145)

first class going up to 60p
    second to 50p

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    The post office is trying to put the price of second class stamps up to 55p. This made me think "I should send fewer letters". But when I thought about it, the only letters I send are race entries. Is there an easy way of entering races and paying online? Would it help to have an online version of the FRA form so that race organisers can use this?

As a race organiser myself, I wouldn't have a clue how to set up a registration and payment website. It is tricky or are we behind the times? I guess ROs would need to have the ability to limit the number of entrants.
    I like http://www.entrycentral.com/ myself. I've used them as an organiser and as an entrant. From an organisers point of view they're incredibly helpful and respond to emails very promptly. They send monthly accounts and cash transfers and their system can cope with one person making multiple entries on behalf of other people which not all of them can. You can even use them to take race entries *without* payment if you want to vet the entries first and then bill folk when the entry list is decided.

It's easy to update the on-line record to make any changes (you'd be amazed at how many people put first and last names in the wrong boxes), do manual entries for anyone you want to give a free entry to and lots of other stuff.

I find the SI entries system (as a runner) a bit more tedious to use. (A lot of clicking and links involved it seems to me).

I've no commercial connection with EntryCentral, just a very satisfied customer.

Not sure how many it would affect but what about the people that are not on line or don't sit at a computer all day.
    I know of one or two that have missed out on entries because of no access to computers during working hours.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post

you should still have access for all, some still use the old fashioned method, i still prefer entry on the day! but with numbers going up in fell races this is sometimes difficult!
    penguins happy feet :w00t: