Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Runners needed for research

Runners needed for research

Male distance runners (sub 2hr half marathon) aged 18-45 are required for a commercial research project at Leeds Metropolitan University's Headingley Campus which is evaluating the effect of a dietary oil supplement (plant based) on muscle recovery and performance.

You will be required to complete a maximal fitness test (VO2max) at the University which will also provide you with a blood lactate profile to help you plan your future training sessions

You will then record a 7 day diet diary at home prior to the study and visit the university over 3 consecutive days for the following:

Day 1: Run 10 miles/16km of hilly ascent and descent on a treadmill (designed to stress the muscles)
    Day 2: No exercise, just blood samples
    Day 3: 5km run on a treadmill to measure your performance

You will be given a batch of drinks to consume daily over a 6 week period and then visit the University for 3 consecutive days to repeat the above tests. You may be given an oil supplement drink or a normal drink with no supplement but you will not be told which you have been given. It is important that you do not change your diet or training volume and intensity during these 6 weeks - if you increase or reduce your training then your performance may increase or decrease and it is not possible for us to truly assess the effect of the supplement drink.

For more information please see the following document:

Information_for_Participants_F3.docx

If you would like to arrange your first visit please message me.

Thanks,

Amanda

Re: Runners needed for researc

you dont want owt thats in me, s'all pickled
    pies

[QUOTE=Outdoors_Junkie;468743

It is important that you do not change your diet or training volume and intensity during these 6 weeks - if you increase or reduce your training then your performance may increase or decrease and it is not possible for us to truly assess the effect of the supplement drink.

Amanda[/QUOTE]

This might be were you struggle with us lot on here - I don't think there's many of us that train consistantly from one week to another. You're probably better of with the clubs closest to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    This might be were you struggle with us lot on here - I don't think there's many of us that train consistantly from one week to another. You're probably better of with the clubs closest to you.
    agreed. to be honest i thought that caveat would make the whole the entire project fairly unfeasible. I don't know anyone who maintains a consistent level of training for 6 weeks.

good luck!
    Adam Speed
    P&B

I know loads of people who train consistently. I'd do this, but am unfortunately not male or aged 18-45.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I believe she's done that too WP. I received details of this study by email which I'm guessing was sent to all club secretaries/contacts on the Leeds Athletics Network contact list.

I'm too old and my dietary supplements are entirely based on beer.

Would be willing to have a go but I'm miles older than your upper age limit

We still need runners for this. By participating you will receive £50 towards your expenses and receive information relating to your blood lactate profile which you can use to help plan your training sessions at the appropriate intensity.

Please contact me asap.

Thanks

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

I'm involved in a study with a friend of OJ's at the moment. Had to delay initially due to illness. Looking at carb metabolisation at altitude.

I do 4 VO2 Max tests at different altitudes (0, 2000, 3000, 4000m) then follow each up a few days later with 90min @60-70% VO2 Max at that altitude (blood samples taken every 30mins) followed immediately by a 5k time trial at same altitude. 2 VO2 Max tests under my belt, with the 2nd long test session on Friday. All altitudes and time results, etc. are undisclosed until the end of the study.

Bloody tough sessions but will learn loads about my body which I can use in training. Already established a new max HR for myself: 192.

If you can meet the criteria I would recommend getting involved. OJ can comment on her own availability, but my researcher is flexible about when we do the sessions: from 6am onwards, weekdays & weekends.
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk