Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Runners needed for research

Re: Runners needed for researc

Quote Originally Posted by southernsoftie View Post
    I'm involved in a study with a friend of OJ's at the moment. Had to delay initially due to illness. Looking at carb metabolisation at altitude.

I do 4 VO2 Max tests at different altitudes (0, 2000, 3000, 4000m) then follow each up a few days later with 90min @60-70% VO2 Max at that altitude (blood samples taken every 30mins) followed immediately by a 5k time trial at same altitude. 2 VO2 Max tests under my belt, with the 2nd long test session on Friday. All altitudes and time results, etc. are undisclosed until the end of the study.

Bloody tough sessions but will learn loads about my body which I can use in training. Already established a new max HR for myself: 192.

If you can meet the criteria I would recommend getting involved. OJ can comment on her own availability, but my researcher is flexible about when we do the sessions: from 6am onwards, weekdays & weekends.
    Not sure about the 3000 and esp the 4000m altitude. going from sea level to that height could cause a HAPE or HACE ? must be a hell of shock to the system?

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Re: Runners needed for researc

Period of acclimatisation in chamber before each test. Judging from feel of each one, I've been low altitude so far as running at okay pace. This week felt harder, so at a guess I'd say done 0m & 2000m so far. Been told that at higher atitudes the 5k TTs are often done at pretty much walking pace.

Besides all vitals being monitored: pulse ox strapped to finger, HR monitor, & gas mask to monitor exhaled air, etc.
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk