Thread: What do you think of this?

What do you think of this?

I don't know if it's been covered on here before, but I have just seen this: http://www.ukhillwalking.com/news/item.php?id=66920 on UKHillwalking, it would appear that landowners are proposing a new access system to land around the country, I don't want to sound alarmist, but the proposal doesn't make for good reading.
    It's up to you if you want to read the whole document, but the salient points are covered by the BMC and RA response to the release.

Re: What do you think of this?

You're right it doesn't make for good reading at all, quite scary reading... I think the Open Spaces Society have got it right in saying that "Our paths have existed since time immemorial. Yet too many are abused by cropping, ploughing and obstruction, all too often by landowners and their tenants. The CLA is big on what the local councils and path users should do—signposting, waymarking, good behaviour, etc. It doesn't mention landowners' bad behaviour in blocking paths, planting crops on them, and intimidating users with big gates and CCTV cameras."

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Harrison View Post
    You're right it doesn't make for good reading at all, quite scary reading... I think the Open Spaces Society have got it right in saying that "Our paths have existed since time immemorial. Yet too many are abused by cropping, ploughing and obstruction, all too often by landowners and their tenants. The CLA is big on what the local councils and path users should do—signposting, waymarking, good behaviour, etc. It doesn't mention landowners' bad behaviour in blocking paths, planting crops on them, and intimidating users with big gates and CCTV cameras."
    That is what I found quite ironic...on the one hand they talk of less red-tape=cost savings yet they then suggest that there should be more path rangers etc....the money coming from where exactly?

As has been said...quite scary reading.

Pretty dismal, but I doubt that much will actually happen. These things tend to circulate from time to time and I imagine any major change in ROW would illicit a big response from ramblers associations etc. as well as others.

Personally, I'm not overly worried
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

People aren't as downtrodden as they used to be.
    Walking in the countryside is always going to be cheap and popular recreation, even more so in financially straitened times.
    I'm not sure any legislation like that would work against the power of the mass trespass - unless the powers that be took to a Syria-like machine-gunning of their own populace.
    Not inconceivable - but probably not for many decades yet in this country.

I'm wit Rob, I don't be complacent, but don't lose any sleep over it either.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    don't be complacent, but don't lose any sleep over it either.
    I think that is the thing really, I posted it so people were aware of the moves by the CLA, the examples they cite are a bit Daily Mailish and alarmist. I'm pretty sure that you can get footpaths re-routed and temporary closure orders, that kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme78 View Post
    I think that is the thing really, I posted it so people were aware of the moves by the CLA, the examples they cite are a bit Daily Mailish and alarmist. I'm pretty sure that you can get footpaths re-routed and temporary closure orders, that kind of thing.
    You can but it's a lot of hassle. We had a footpath run along a track past a barn which was in danger of falling down. Rather than risk someone getting hurt (the LDSPB wouldn't let us sort out the building) we applied to move the path away from the barn. Well there couldn't be any difference in the length of the old route and the new route, etc, etc.

In the end the gable of the barn fell down of its own accord and the footpath wasn't moved. (We removed the evidence of the two walkers underneath the rubble :closed: )

There's always some who want to return to the old days but they don't get very far fortunately. They'll produce alarmist reports that would appear to indicate increasing threats to the fabric of the British countryside when in fact there's nothing to support their hypotheses. The most strident about protecting (their bit of) the countryside are usually those who are recent arrivals and don't want others to get in the way of their peace and quiet.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back