Thread: Run routes around Keswick

Run routes around Keswick

Hi All,

I've convinced my mrs into heading to Keswick in the next couple of weeks for a long weekend. Its my first time running in the lakes, so im a bit overwhelmed at the possible route choices available and what’s safe and worth doing at this time of year, so can anyone recommend me some nice routes for me to take her on?
    Im planning on doing the Coledale Horseshoe as a recce for later in the year but maybe 2 or 3 ideas would be ideal (14 - 15mi max).

Alternatively, are there any guide companies around that area?

Cheers

Pete

Re: Run routes around Keswick

I'm in Keswick. I'll put you in touch with others as well if you wish. Drop me a PM and I'll pass on my details. There are usually a few runs going out mid-week, mainly at night. Bring a head-torch for some fun.

Tuesday and Thursday are club nights, so you could join a session. Every other night usually has a headtorch trot.

Phil

A good runnable route if you're not necessarily wanting to go up too high, but still want to get out into the wilds, is to go out along the old train line towards Penrith, turn off left at a place called Brundholme and then go up the east side of the valley between Skiddaw and Blencathra. Once you're at the head of the valley you can either go back down it along the nice undulating path on the west side, which is part of the Cumbria way and will take you all the way back to Keswick, or if you're feeling good you could carry on to Skiddaw House and maybe come back over Skiddaw itself.

Another good long-but-easyish one is going up Walla Crag along to Ashness Bridge then to Watendlath, over to Rosthwaite and again back to Keswick along the Cumbira way via Portinscale on the west side of Derwent Water. Thinking about it I'd probably actually do that one the other way round to get the less interesting flat miles out of the way early on.

Getting the bus down Borrowdale opens up more possibilities; there would be loads of routes of about the right length from Rosthwaite/Seatoller/Honister, though they may involve a bit of steep stuff/walking too. The run along the High Spy/Maiden Moor ridge back to Keswick is one of my favourites few miles in the Lakes so I'd recommend working that into a route one way or another.

No need for a guide - from Keswick you can't really go wrong no matter where you go!

cheers guys,

We're heading up from Sat - Tues so would miss the club stuff.. . I'll have a look at those suggestions. Thanks TT

A variation on T.T's first suggestion is to go up Spooney Geen Lane, over Skiddaw(bit of a slog but it's a good test of your climbing) straight over the top and down via Bakestall to the Skiddaw House track. Turn right and about a mile past Skiddaw House, cross the valley and go up the track on the east side of the Glenderaterra Valley. If you want to give your climbing a real test, cut off to the left about half way up the track and go straight up to the top of Blease Fell. Then come back down the tourist path to rejoin the Glenderaterra track at the Blencathra Centre. Drop down through the centre, cross the valley and back to Spooney Green Lane via Brundholme.

If you include Blease Fell it's about 15/16 miles and just less than 6000' - sorry I'm not into metrication!