Page 34 of 38 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Long Tour of Bradwell

Re: Long Tour of Bradwell

Nice one Alan B I think you know me well enough to know what my 'feck off' means? It was just a very knee jerk reaction to someone elses brazenness. I am not very ladylike, I never intend to be, or aspire to be.

It's all about give and take and as many proven participants have mentioned, it's about respect for everyone...I had a walker aghast at me coming down to the track before the road at Edale telling me not to hold the gate for her...of course I will, she has just as much right to use the land around her, as I do.

What Splatcher has mentioned is my sentiment exactly, I've had some top (bloke) runners finish with me that should be way ahead, but they have held back and stuck with me until the finish, but with map in hand and contributing in some way, navigationally or just moral support. And like I've mentioned, I have made some great friends that way that I've had some great days on the hill...these are the kind of people you want on big hill challenges, they have a big grasp of the bigger picture, and we all keep each other safe.

It's a hard balance - ultras are often draw a wider range of participants - traily stuff or fell - the traily folk tend to expect marked courses, the fell guys generally tend to deal with the nav better.

I think from the 'fell' point of view, what others have mentioned, including myself - it is a sense of responsibility for yourself (and in turn the others around you) that is the way it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by HelenSkelton View Post
    Great video, I kind of noticed that thing strapped to your head before the climb up to Hollins Cross and wondered what it was - glad I acted on my instincts and let you pass, no one wants to see a backside like a bag of ferrets

It must have been uncomfortable to carry?
    Haha cheers Helen! It was a bit annoying to wear, particularly on the descents because it kept bobbing around. I think that was my fault though because I adjusted it before the start to tighten it but I think I actually loosened it - woops!

Quote Originally Posted by RaceTheSweeper View Post
    great video. Did I notice you took the direct route from upper Burbage, rather than the easy track under Burbage edge? Respect for that. Not many that passed us at the check point went that way. :thumbup:
    Cheers Race the Sweeper! Yup it was the more direct route. I'd reccied that bit a few days previously so knew the way despite the marshall's warning that is was boggy!

Had a great day on Sunday reccying this route. Really looking forward to the day itself.

One question, though, Bamford Clough (the escalator) was closed due to exposed cable "until April 2015 or until works are completed whichever is the sooner".

Whilst we slipped round the side of the barriers I don't think a few hundred runners will get away with it, wondering what the alternative route might be...

Enjoyed the day so much I may go back and do another reccie.

I don't think I will have to stop to tie my shoelaces or feign cramp, though, not many will be behind me
    a rush and a push and the land is ours

alternate route might be just to push across the Ladybower dam (where they'd have the CP instead of Thornhill Trail), down the main road and go up New Road - bit boring, but I think this might've been used in the past...?
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Eeeek, maybe the road detour then. Turn left up the road then right. Cyclists use it for hill reps. I've heard them blowing out their arses coming past me.

Quote Originally Posted by DazTheSlug View Post
    alternate route might be just to push across the Ladybower dam (where they'd have the CP instead of Thornhill Trail), down the main road and go up New Road - bit boring, but I think this might've been used in the past...?
    You're right Daz. That was the original route we took in 2009. The organiser only introduced the 'more interesting' route from 2010 onwards.

What a fabulous day yesterday.

Just three drops of rain landed on me in 8h 02m of running, the sun lit the fantastic route and overall it was a brilliant day.

Shame about the escalator being out of order

Many thanks to the race organisers and to the Runfurther people for making this event such a great day from start to finish.
    a rush and a push and the land is ours

A large crop of photos can be found here. It was a grand day.

Quote Originally Posted by nippersmith View Post
    What a fabulous day yesterday.

Just three drops of rain landed on me in 8h 02m of running, the sun lit the fantastic route and overall it was a brilliant day.

Shame about the escalator being out of order

Many thanks to the race organisers and to the Runfurther people for making this event such a great day from start to finish.
    Quote Originally Posted by BritNick View Post
    A large crop of photos can be found here. It was a grand day.
    Agree, great day, thanks to the organiser for the late entry and the marshals and Runfurther folk
    Hills and Guinness!