Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Cheviot" shoes

"Cheviot" shoes

anybody tried these Start Fitness own brand (More Mile) shoes?:

http://www.startfitness.co.uk/produc...ID=&P_ID=47910

on offer atm...
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Re: "Cheviot" shoes

The fact that it's their own shoe, has a RRP of £79.99 and is at half price would concern me a little. It's not that they couldn't put a shoe together as good as a brand, but the technical details you often don't see in a shoe are usually there in the branded footwear but missing in plausible looking copies.
    Usually an unbranded "copy" would pitch in at £40 so I'm sure this was designed with a £40 spec.

I have to say, it looks quite good - I'd be interested to see if anyone has feedback.

Start Fitness have big reductions on lots of "branded" shoes too, not just their own brand
    also, the Cheviots have literally just been reduced in the last few days (not sure what they cost before, maybe not 79.99, but probably somewhere in between)

More Mile branded stuff does generally tend to be good VFM, but I've never seen it other than at half price! I've got shorts and thermals that are very good.
    These look OK, but have that look of a shoe that's meant to be £40, if you know what I mean, and also look quite heavy with it (possibly the MM logo doesn't help!). They also start at UK 8 so no good for us hobbits! It'd be interesting to hear the views of anyone who's actually used them though as it is a good price....

Interestingly, the More Mile website doesn't list any shoes, at all.

http://www.moremile.co.uk/

Saying which, I'm a big fan of their clothing - the shop in Newcastle is my nearest running shop, I've always had good service from the kit I've bought, and it's nicely priced. The staff are generally very good too.

For now, though, think I'll stick with my bargain-in-the-sales Mizuno Wave Harriers 2...

I just received a pair of MM Cheviots here in Australia earlier today. First impressions were that they seemed visually very similar to Inov8 Mudclaw 330/333s, especially the sole with it's 'bi planner' type heel and stud pattern. Although we have no true 'fell' running here in Australia (I'll use the shoes for short mountain trail and cross country races), recent heavy rains and flooding in my part of New South Wales has left wet boggy conditions and a short 5 km run across boggy country with some undulations had me very happy with the shoes. Great traction on wet grass and mud, can't comment on wet rock as yet. I'd describe the fit as similar to my Inov8 Roclite 295's - I'm a New Balance 2E width road/trail shoe wearer and like a little more forefoot width without a loose heel.

Close examination of the shoes showed a good build quality, I could not help noticing that the size tag in the left shoe was almost identical to that used by Inov8 and the lace eye loops and laces were identical. I think it entirely possible that MM's come from the very same factory in China as Inov8s.

I got my shoes for GBP 29.95 from ebay seller 'exercise-direct.co.uk', which is about 1/3 of what I pay for comparable Inov8 shoes via Wiggle etc. I'm that happy with the MM's that I've just purchased 2 more pairs of Cheviots at GBP 29.95 a pair, this time I've gone for the black/blue model as the gray/yellow model that I received earlier today has a yellow inner lining that has already attracted a little dirt in it's maiden run and will get much more.

My conclusion - if you like the Inov8 Mudclaw 330/333 or even the Mudroc 290, you might like the MM Cheviot at around 1/3 of the price.

PS - no indication of a Inov8 type 'fascia band' if that matters to you - it dosn't to me.

You can get two pairs for £54.95, with a free pair of more mile socks for each pair:

http://www.moremile.co.uk/product.as...ID=&P_ID=40429

Anyone else got a pair they can comment on? Bet they'd last as long as Inov8 330/333 (which isn't long to be honest) but at least you won't be as much out of pocket.

They do look like a Roclite 295 with a different foot cradle and a more rugged sole. Oztrailrunner might be on to something there. Even details such as the pull loops on the tongue and heel are very close.

Looks a decent enough shoe to me, although I also agree with Stumpy. But realistically at £29.95 it's not going to have Salomon type aesthetics. If we weren't heading into a bit of better weather I'd probably take a punt on a pair.

Nice to see a bit more competition and choice in the all-out fell shoe market.
    Be Humble. Sit Down.

Any idea of the weight OZT?

think I'm going to take a punt on a pair of Cheviots

I used to wait until I could find Inov8's discounted to £50 before buying them, but if I'm now going to struggle to get any for less than £65-70, I'm going to need to find a cheap alternative for general training to keep mileage off such expensive shoes

so instead of spending £100 on 2 pairs of Inov8's, I'll now be giving them only £65 - hey ho...