Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: High Intensity Training

Re: High Intensity Training

I was interested because I've used interval training more over the past couple of years as I have less time to train. I can't put in the quantity so I have to make each session good quality. I tend to use 3 minute reps (x6 or 2x sets of 3) and do them as hard as possible that I can maintain for the 3 minutes. I like doing them as hill reps but also do them on the turbo during the winter. I've never gone as short as the Tabata method suggests.

Interval training can make a difference to fitness. If you only have limited time to train then there is a lot of evidence out there that intervals are the best way to make the most of your time. If I had 12+ hours a week to train I might do it differently, but that's the point; I don't, so intervals work for me.
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Watched the program - lots of unanswered questions.

Where is the evidence it made him "fit"? It improved his blood profile marginally - I would very much doubt if the result was statistically significant, though presumably they have evidence of some benefit from studies involving a number of people.

How much warm up did he do? They did mention a warm up but did not tell us how long it took.

He was of course doing his 20 second efforts on a stationary bike - are there any alternatives to this that do not invite injury? Uphill running flat out for example.

His VO2 max was unaffected - and they made a big point of this - but VO2 max is relatively fixed anyway, and if they were really interested in this they should have tried some other exercise interventions. They did not measure what % of his VO2 max that he could sustain for a period - this is a significant determinant of how well people perform and it can change very significantly as a result of appropriate training.

They were of course mainly interested in exercise as a way of improving vascular disease risk factors, rather than as an end in itself; most fell runners aim to improve their performance and enjoy themselves, the other benefits being secondary.
    I watched it tonight on Iplayer, quite interesting but as Mike says it only looks at small sections of fitness. It also didn't really touch on race or stamina fitness, used as part of a bigger picture though I could see being useful, I have a short circuit that I do which has a 3 minute hard climb followed by a 5 minute descent through a wood all to be repeated, may be this is too long?

I think the problem is that it is counter intuitive that there are stamina benefits to be had from such short efforts so people dismiss it despite good sciebtific evidence. I would encourage you to look on pponline and search for Tabata so you can see the study for yourself. The 20s/10s intervals were the most effective out of all those tested.

I don't suppose it can replace distance training for obvious reasons but it has a place.

FWIW I'm going to include 3 x 20 second bursts in as many of my runs / bike rides now, like a micro fartlek session. May not be the optimal way to do it but seems so easy to apply a bit of the theory during normal exercise that you might as well - will probably help with speed work as well.