Thread: Simon's Seat-Barden Res. How?

Simon's Seat-Barden Res. How?

I'm planning a little saunter to Bolton Abbey to run up to Simon's Seat then over to Upper Barden Reservoir.

In good weather and being brave I would have descended down to Howgill and then attempted the stepping stones across to then run through Drebley and on and up to Upper Barden Res. The sensible option now seems to be to head from Howgill to Barden Bridge then up but that presents many more route options.

Ideally I'd like to climb to the upper res. first before passing the lower one on the way back to the abbey. Any suggestions for a fun/interesting route from Barden Bridge would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Simon's Seat-Barden Res. H

If you want to make it longer (and a much steeper ascent onto Barden Moor) you could run along the Dales Way path from bottom of Howgill to Burnsall then up onto the fell from there - using the Open Access land alongside the Burnsall fell race route. Not sure on total length as I've not done SS & Barden Moor on same run before but have parked regularly at Barden Bridge to do either side.

I do this route every now and then, which incorporates Simon's Seat, Bolton Abbey and Lower Barden Reservoir but it would be easy enough to extend it to Upper Barden Reservoir. Like MT, I generally park at Barden Bridge.

http://classic.mapmyrun.com/run/unit...33154849581706

Thanks for that. I ran up there yesterday. I found the last half-mile up to Simon's Seat to be a right ball-ache with all of the rocks. Also, initially headed north from Barden Bridge hoping to find a route onto Barden Moor. There's not really much option other than to head south and enter where Muddy Retriever exits. I stand to be corrected though.

I'll be going back soon with a new route in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Runner View Post
    Also, initially headed north from Barden Bridge hoping to find a route onto Barden Moor. There's not really much option other than to head south and enter where Muddy Retriever exits. I stand to be corrected though.
    Burnsall is pretty much the next entry point to Barden moor if you're running along the river
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Furness View Post
    Burnsall is pretty much the next entry point to Barden moor if you're running along the river
    Rob's correct on that unless the stepping stones are in a passable condition, though I've personally never risked them.

I have a great long route from Burnsall that incorporates Simon's Seat and all of Barden Fell.

You go up the road in the Barden direction from Burnsall but then hook right through the woods half way up the hill and up onto Burnsall and Thorpe Fell. You take a westerly line open fell line from here and soon be able to pick up a cart track that continues west and then south around the edge of the fell before petering out. Keep following the ridge edge though and you pick up a good path from the war memorial which takes you to Rystone Cross. Soon after the Cross you pick up the main path coming up from Rylstone and you leave the ridge at this point and follow that east and south east all the way to the road at the cattle grid. Cross there and follow the path over Hare Head, Middle Hare Head and Little Hare Head before dropping down through the woods and appearing on the road at Bolton Abbey. Then down to the stepping stones and follow the tourist track through the woods, past the wooden bridge at Cavendish Pavillion before heading right through the fields, past the valley of desolation (drop down and visit the gorgeous waterfall) and all the way up to Simon's Seat. At Simon's Seat take the south westerly path down to Howgill, then down to the road (Stangs Lane) and then following the river all the way back to Burnsall, stopping off for a swim in the river (there's a couple of fantastic spots) if you're in the mood. I can't remember the mileage but something between 20 and 24 miles