Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Lake District OS wall maps

Old Lake District OS wall maps

Wondering if anyone can help me with my search for a Lake District wall map.
    I am thinking of the large, inch-to-a-mile maps covering the whole area of the Lake District, published I think at various points from the 1940s to the 1970s?
    One full sheet probably about two foot square or two wide by three high, they often have relief shading as well as the usual OS markings.
    You often see them framed and hung in B&Bs and pubs in Cumbria, but I have never found one for sale.
    Do these maps have a particular name? And how best might I find one?
    Have asked in Keswick secondhand shops and done some googling to no avail.
    Ta.
    Last edited by ZootHornRollo; 06-03-2012 at 02:37 PM.

Super Moderator

Re: Old Lake District OS wall

I have a fairly recent 1inch to 1mile 'Lake District Touring map 3' I bought after seeing a walker with one on the Fairfield Horseshoe years ago. They might be discontinued now

Your best bet is secondhand book shops in or around the district. I have a few old OS maps I've picked up for a few quid from such places. iirc the shop upstairs opposite Costa in Keswick has secondhand maps
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Super Moderator

More recent equivalent going cheap here
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    I have a fairly recent 1inch to 1mile 'Lake District Touring map 3' I bought after seeing a walker with one on the Fairfield Horseshoe years ago. They might be discontinued now

Your best bet is secondhand book shops in or around the district. I have a few old OS maps I've picked up for a few quid from such places. iirc the shop upstairs opposite Costa in Keswick has secondhand maps
    Yes cheers Andrew - I was in Keswick Monday but he only opens on a Saturday during the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    More recent equivalent going cheap here
    ta - but yeah that's not quite what I'm after.

There were several series of these covering areas like the Lakes, Peak, Yorkshire Dales, Cairngorms etc. Mostly called "Tourist Maps" but the later editions (late 80s onwards) were "Touring Maps". They were at assorted different scales but the Lakes ones were all 1-inch.

http://www.fieldenmaps.info/info/DT_B/

There seem to be plenty of the other sheets around secondhand but the Lakes ones are quite rare...I've got a rather battered copy of the 1989 edition, been looking out for a while for a better-preserved one to frame, but no luck yet. Keep on scouring bookshops & ebay would be my only suggestion.

I did recently pick up a 1960s Bartholomew 1/2 inch map of the Lakes which also has rather beautiful shading and might also be worth looking out for...I actually find it particularly interesting as it shows a wider area with the Lakes fells connecting through the Howgills across into the Pennines rather than just in isolation:-

http://maps.nls.uk/series/view/?sid=75202802
    Last edited by elliptic; 06-03-2012 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Added link to the Bartholomew map

Elliptic thanks a lot.

I've thought about doing this before as i've got a few old maps but they are very creased.
    Does anyone know if it is possible to 'iron' or 'steam' out the folds or creases?

Cheers,
    Ken

I've just read this and can recommend it to people with an interest in maps and the OS;

Map of a Nation: A Biography of the Ordnance Survey
    Rachel Hewitt

Found one similar to this on eBay and ordered it:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1974-OS-Or...item416116b646
    which seems to be from the right series.
    Also getting one from 1925 sent to me from a secondhand bookshop, which the chap was quite happy to do without payment, so I can look at it and send it back if I don't want it - or send him a cheque if I do. Which was very nice I thought.