Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Wolf`s Pit Jnr/senior races

Any one racing this tomorrow?

First time for me and I gather you park at the garden centre but can anyone confirm where registration is?

Many thanks.

Just follow the other runners up the road opposite the garden centre to the field at the top of the road. Enjoy the hill!!!

Cheers Wazzy

It's nearly a kilometer away, give yourself plenty of time!

Great little race, really enjoyed it albeit a tad windy at times

Great to be out racing again. First one of the year for me.

I finished well although it took me a while for my body to remember what race pace feels like (hard!). I was pleased not to lose any places on the final descent - I had tried to get a bit clear of the pack behind me on the long climb just before it, and it obviously worked.

Good conditions for a PB, and well done to the lad who took the course record.

After my first run at Wolfs Pit in 2017 I vowed never to do it again as I found the start horribly tough, nearly 1,000 feet in the first half mile.

Seven years later I found myself there again. The only thing that had changed was that the start field was waterlogged and unsuitable for parking so a long walk in the rain was required to get to the start.

After a mad slippery dash out of the start field, followed by the usual pile up of fallers at the ford, the 194 runners got stuck into the first climb. I overtook some who had gone off too fast but was also overtaken by others who had judged their pace better. Once Shatton Mast is reached, the first climb is completed and there is lovely fast running on a combination of grassy paths and moorland trods around Shatton and Offerton Moors. A short and steep stretch of downhill tarmac before the sting in the tail up a steep bank, back around to Shatton Mast and then a fantastic descent of the initial climb before the uphill slippery slog to the finish funnel at the top of the start field.

The race was won by Finlay Grant of Dark Peak in 39.16 and the first lady, also of Dark Peak, was Heather Tait 34th o/a in 51.44. I was 39th and 1st M60 in 52.19 and surprisingly 2 minutes quicker than 2017.
    A very well organised race by Bradda Dads and thanks to the marshals who were out in some wild weather.

The Accelerate Gritstone series of six fell races has been resurrected this year of which this was the first. I might see if I can fit the others in!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog