Thread: Calf Spasms

Calf Spasms

Not sure if this is an injury in the truest definition of the word but in the past 2 weeks have started to have spasms in my left calf. Only millisecond spasma but enough for me to pull up. No pain otherwise. Started on a gentle 3m run, not constant but now occuring occasionally when I walk.

Have an event on Sat, 10k and wonder if I should risk it?

As I'm not to familiar with running I have no idea how serious this is/may be so all advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Re: Calf Spasms

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Not sure if this is an injury in the truest definition of the word but in the past 2 weeks have started to have spasms in my left calf. Only millisecond spasma but enough for me to pull up. No pain otherwise. Started on a gentle 3m run, not constant but now occuring occasionally when I walk.

As I'm not to familiar with running I have no idea how serious this is/may be so all advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    There are many on this forum who know more about injuries than I do but I did tear my soleus in a race last year so have a little experience.

You won't want to hear this but I would rest it for a couple of weeks. Don't know how much stretching you do but there are various stretches that will help too. If you decide to race then make sure you warm up really well first. In a race there is a temptation to set off quickly and this can put a lot of pressure on the calf, particularly if there is early ascent. Will be quite a few similar threads for you to have look at on calf injuries.

Thanks in advance
    Sorry you're having issues. Niggles are never nice to deal with - I know!
    My thoughts are always that if you are doubting whether to run you've essentially answered your own question. Pain is generally the body saying something is wrong.
    Spasms could be caused for many reasons, and I'm not qualified to diagnose, and even less so on an internet forum. Things you might want to consider though, is hydration ok? and not just drinking enough - are electrolytes/salts etc balanced? muscles and other soft tissues are made up of quite a bit of water (70%+ quoted in some sources) so slight dehydration (even before you feel thirsty) can have detrimental effects on your body.
    Do you have tight muscles somewhere that might be causing compression on a nerve and causing the spasm? Nerves follow specific routes through the body and tight or congested muscles anywhere on their path can cause pain to be felt somewhere else. Sciatica is a good example as a tight piriformis (muscle in your bum) can cause pain down a leg or foot.
    It sounds like the issue is getting worse (was only affecting running but is now occuring when walking)...I'd suggest you see someone who can get their hands on you and work out what is causing the issue.
    Good luck, hope this helped in some way.
    Lynne

Bailiff Bridge, Brighouse, West Yorkshire

Thanks in advance
    I definitely wouldn't risk it....

I started to experience similar spasm's 5 yrs ago after a football injury. It developed into the dreaded "calf heart attacks" which I'm still struggling with.

You should stretch hamstrings, quads and glutes as much as possible, and work on ankle flexibility too. It may be biomechanical due to a previous injury? Or a slight tear that's building up scar tissue, either way I would take some time off and start back really slowly, you could try running in front of a mirror at the gym to see if you're landing/running awkwardly or asymetrically.

If I'd have sorted myself out when it first started instead of ignoring it I would be able to manage alot more than I can at present so its genuinely not worth taking chances!
    @IGlendinning