Thread: Upper tibia pain

Upper tibia pain

I've had this pain on my upper tibia on both legs around my tibia tuberosity, for a few mouths. It started as a minor pain on the right and then gradually got worse on both legs. I stopped running on it at the end of January, and haven’t done any fell walking on it for 3 weeks now. It’s not a severe pain but just annoying and just never seems to want to heal. The pain seems focused on a little bump on the inside of the tibia tuberosity. I don’t think it would be stress fractures as it’s on both legs and doesn’t seem severe enough. When I type my symptoms into Google I get a load of stuff about Osgood Schlatter syndrome, but am 23 and had no history of that when I was a teenager.
    I assume that it’s some kind of tendon issue, I was wondering if anybody has any thoughts about what it might be. I am hoping that it will heal with adequate rest, but its getting super frustrating.I don’t really want to go to the doctor again with another running issue, if i can avoid it.

Also I feel it most when walking or running down hill, or even walking down the stairs.
    Last edited by The-Big-Gray-Man; 13-03-2012 at 09:14 PM.

Re: Upper tibia pain

Hi, really odd but i had something very similar started early december, dreadful pain around the same area, when runnng could get to two miles and then had to stop, doctor thought it was a stress fracture, then my acl then finally after two months it was diagnosed as a hamstring tendon tear and i am back running ultras again had 12 weeks off though! Had to bike and gym....may not be that but could be.....hope it fixes.

sounds like your quads need stretching out.
    They attach at the tibial tuberosity, and if they are short and tight they might start causing pain there.

Get a foam roller. Roll on it. It will probably hurt, but will do you good.

Thats a theory, not a diagnosis, I'd suggest going to actually see someone, be it a doctor, an osteo, a physio, massage therapist etc to get it looked at, but as I say, it sounds like short, tight quads.

Quote Originally Posted by zephr View Post
    sounds like your quads need stretching out.
    They attach at the tibial tuberosity, and if they are short and tight they might start causing pain there.

Get a foam roller. Roll on it. It will probably hurt, but will do you good.

Thats a theory, not a diagnosis, I'd suggest going to actually see someone, be it a doctor, an osteo, a physio, massage therapist etc to get it looked at, but as I say, it sounds like short, tight quads.
    But you would assume that, that would settle down with rest.

nope, I wouldnt assume anything.
    With rest it might get ok to walk on, but not necessarily run.
    Your quads could be chronically short and cause pain to the tibial tuberosity every time you stand up. The fascia down the front of your leg could be pulling on it every time you take a step, it could be that you have an issue with your hips and they are slightly out of alignment, and without your psoas being taken into account the pain in the tibia might not settle down, it could be that its none of these things... as you know, thats the problem with asking about injuries on the internet.

All things considered, if you've been resting it and it still hasn't got better, I guess the best option is to pay your money and see a pro.