Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eating on the run

Re: Eating on the run

I am not great at eating during runs but fater many experiments I am reverting to real food. The only gels I can stomach are Zipvit ones. Most of the jelly/shot bloc type stuff just cacks up my mouth. Fingers of fudge work well. Homemade flapjack with loads of syrup even better. Crave some savoury so marmite sarnies- cut up small like for a kid in a high chair! I must admit on the fellsman the hotdogs went down well and the pasta with tomatoe sauce even better. Suspect rice pud would be good but have never got round the logistics of it.

I find I'm very speed/temperature dependent. Things that work well on a slow cold day run turns my stomach rotten on a fast hot day. I like a mix of food types, very useful to prevent peaks and toughs on longer days. Protein/nuts/chocolate/jelly baby type things alternating can prevent a crash. I take the odd gel particularly to revive quickly, drink plenty of fluid and not all gels are created equal. Gel with electrolyte on a hot day. I've recommended the caffeine ones (or chocolate covered coffee beans) to people who spend monday-friday supping full fat coffee and tea in their office on the hour every hour. Though I don't like caffeine on hot days - I wonder if thats the diuretic effect, suits longer cooler days, especially when the head starts to sag a little.

I've been trying mushed fruit packs available in childrens aisles of your local supermarket as a method of getting a bit of fructose in easily digestible/carried form - its been an acquired taste, very acidic and not so good if your not used to a good deal of fruit in your diet - makes a nice change from the sweet things most people are given to eat. Rice pudding and jam at roadside change overs goes ok, at least its texturally the same both ways if it goes wrong...

I'm wondering about chicken soup. Though think there could be a risk with dairy products on that one. Baby bells have been all right sometimes. I'm still looking for the perfect savoury snack. Avoid things with a lot of fibre for obvious reasons.

I know someone who likes eating cut up bagels, though I'm yet to try that one.

Always better to eat when going slowly up hill - learning to breath whilst doing it is a handy skill. Try plenty and figure out what works chemically for you and in what conditions. Oh and if its a long one always, always eat before you start getting hungry, anything else risks crashing and burning later.
    'Normal' people are the ones you don't know very well.

I eat on runs over 3 hours, but not very frequently. 3-4 hours just once about 2/3 the way round. Up to 6 hours running, I'll eat up to 3 times. Fairly simple stuff - a banana, handful of raisins, slice of malt loaf, or homemade flapjack.

I don't eat on runs that are less than 2-3 hours but from 3 hours on, I usually break a snickers in half and eat one piece then the rest a bit later. I sometimes take dried fruit or a cereal bar as well. I've used gels in the past but I don't really like them. Too claggy and sickly.
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

Tried jelly babies for the first time today at the Edale Skyline and they seemed to work perfectly, my energy levels didn't seem to dip at all and it was rather hot weather.

Baby-bel cheese (or just chopped up cheddar) for savoury option; they are easily carried, tasty and the dog likes them too. Sweet option is usually either fig rolls or fun-size bounty or mars bar or something, maybe jaffa cakes.
    If I'm out for a long day with a rucksack I'll often eat baked beans out one of those snap-pot things. Cold obviously, but very tasty - yum yum.

Hi there, after I finished the Wicklow Round (the Irish equivalent of the Bob Graham Round) I wrote down all that I ate, drank, wore and carried (just in case I wanted to do it all again !) http://moireosullivan.com/2009/06/10...wicklow-round/

Definitely would go along with those who have voted for cake... and some chocolate in reserve is always a good thing as well

I usually take Jelly Babies, but the other day the wife came home with a bag of Jelly geriatrics(same as jelly babies but with little grandmas and granddads) she said these were more appropriate for me, :sneaky: Oh love. I like flapjacks on a very long run.

ATB

Tahr
    Last edited by Tahr; 27-03-2012 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moireosullivan View Post
    Hi there, after I finished the Wicklow Round (the Irish equivalent of the Bob Graham Round) I wrote down all that I ate, drank, wore and carried (just in case I wanted to do it all again !) http://moireosullivan.com/2009/06/10...wicklow-round/

Definitely would go along with those who have voted for cake... and some chocolate in reserve is always a good thing as well
    I ordered a copy of your book last night, looks good reading:thumbup:

Malt loaf, marmite sarnies, cold beans, spam and mustard sarnies, mini pork and pickle pies, shot blox (suit me better than gels) cold tomato soup, cold mushroom soup...........tried loads of stuff and come to the conclusion i basically like food, and running. Pasta and tomato sauce and hot dogs on the Fellsman were cracking as was the Big Soup on the Lakeland 50. Nouveaux cuisine is not for me!
    Hills and Guinness!