Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Unity

Re: Unity

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    I agree. I'm worried by Xrunners fixation with 'control'. I don't want to control anything when I go fell running. I just want to run on the hills with people who feel the same way as me, to hell with the result (but its nice if you pull a good one out of the bag!), to hell with politics, committees, rules and regulations. Lets just worry about that big bugger up ahead, try to ignore that looming storm front and pray top Our Lady of Quadriceps for deliverance from DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness!!)
    Oh, and first one home gets the round in! And don't forget, be nice to the marshals!!
    None of which prevents unity – but unity could be a stepping stone on the way to ensuring that the qualities that we all love remain part of our sport.

I think fell running will have to change and adapt a more modern approach to the sport.

In particular it will have to redefine the sport and encompass off-road running in all its different varieties.

If fell running wants to stay in the past and only encourage traditional races in a few select areas of the country, then other organisations will soon take over the sport.

It is the fell running community that has to sort out their sport, not some other organisation that has delegated control of the sport to the FRA in England.

If EA started to tell race organisers that old established events should be reclassified as trail races or even cross country, there would be a major outcry from the fell running community.
    Couldn't disagree more!

And thats why the WFRA as reconvened..to preserve the qualities we love. I think everyone needs to acknowledge that you can't have it both ways. You cannot have a professionally managed part of the sport (necessary for success in international competition) and a 'free' amateur part of the sport within one organisation. It just won't work because if its not insurance, or officials qualifications, it'll be something else...and it's no good hoping it won't happen because that's not the nature of things.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

And thats why the WFRA as reconvened..to preserve the qualities we love. I think everyone needs to acknowledge that you can't have it both ways. You cannot have a professionally managed part of the sport (necessary for success in international competition) and a 'free' amateur part of the sport within one organisation. It just won't work because if its not insurance, or officials qualifications, it'll be something else...and it's no good hoping it won't happen because that's not the nature of things.
    None of that prevents unity either. If you recognise what needs to happen, how and where, and how different bits of the sport need to be dealt with, you can indeed have your cake and eat it.

All this pessimistic “mark my word, it will all go pear-shaped” nonsense is negative and will become a self-fulfilling prophecy which will prevent the sort of progress the sport needs now.

Just what are you really frightened of, Simon?

Its not a question of fear (else I would not go fell running!) Its about a recognition that over-intrusion of Rules/Regs/blazerdom etc is anathema to our chosen sport. Humans are great at completely f**king things up with their desire to 'organise'. Lets just keep such influences out of our sport and show respect to the environment we run in.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by macc ladd View Post

Couldn't disagree more!
    So you think that EA or UKA should organise and take the lead in controlling fell running?
    Last edited by XRunner; 19-06-2007 at 02:07 PM.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Its not a question of fear (else I would not go fell running!) Its about a recognition that over-intrusion of Rules/Regs/blazerdom etc is anathema to our chosen sport. Humans are great at completely f**king things up with their desire to 'organise'. Lets just keep such influences out of our sport and show respect to the environment we run in.
    I agree with most of what you say, Wheeze, I just think that we fell runners should unite anyway. That doesn’t mean blazers and committees – it just means runners communicating. What’s wrong with that?

Quote Originally Posted by XRunner View Post
    So you think that EA or UKA should organise and take the lead in controling fell running?
    I doubt they'd be interested unless Foster / Nova start organising the 'Great Cumbrian Fell Race'.

20,000 people paying 28 quid, then descending on Borrowdale for a charity fun run around 17 miles of unmarked/unmarshalled lakeland fells.... Essential kit to include full waterproofs and a tutu....

Humans are great at completely f**king things up
    Correct. Most Rules were introduced because the athletes found loopholes to exploite.

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    I doubt they'd be interested unless Foster / Nova start organising the 'Great Cumbrian Fell Race'.
    If a major commercial organisation started to organise large-scale events in wild country, then many rules of the sport will be ignored.

It may be interesting to start another thread to discuss the FLM and the UKA rules that it flouts.