Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Shutlingsloe fell race

After going for an enjoyable early breakfast run around Macc Forest and Shutlingsloe (perfect morning for it) I decided to go and spectate rather than partake and cheer on a few from the club and take a few SNAPS along the way.

Looked like a good turn out. Not seen any results as yet, enough to say Simon Bailay ran ;-)

First race in this part of the country. Really enjoyed it - but not the up-hill finish!

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    After going for an enjoyable early breakfast run around Macc Forest and Shutlingsloe (perfect morning for it) I decided to go and spectate rather than partake and cheer on a few from the club and take a few SNAPS along the way.

Looked like a good turn out. Not seen any results as yet, enough to say Simon Bailay ran ;-)
    Some great shots there, Lemmy.

I've just sent the results to Brett.

Thanks Noel and the team for a fantastic race. You packed a lot of fun into 3k - I liked the bum slither bluebell wood particularly!

Clare Griffin
    Macc Harriers

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    Thanks Noel and the team for a fantastic race. You packed a lot of fun into 3k - I liked the bum slither bluebell wood particularly!

Clare Griffin
    Macc Harriers
    Cheers Clare

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Yes, the bluebell woods were particularly slippy yesterday. I was having trouble marking the course in my wellies!

First did this race in 1982 and it never ceases to please - the setting, the ambience the bl**dy hill, all together making a grand afternoon out. And now with Wincle Brewery Eccentric Beers to quench the thirst. This is a heaven on earth.

Well done on the organisation Noel

Colin Ardron
    Macc Harriers

Another win for Mr Bailey, when is this race going to be renamed Simon's Shutlingsloe? Young Joshua had another amazing run finishing 2nd and claiming big scalps in Sam Tosh 3rd and Simon Harding 4th.

There really is something special about a village fete in a country setting and Wildboarclough Fete has such a nice feel about it with the added bonus of a Fell race. We arrived in plenty of time so a brew and cake had to be sampled, especially with the cakes being 3 for the price of 2. Maybe a big slice of Coffee and Walnut before the race was too much....I coughed up a piece of walnut on the climb through the wood, lovely!

At only 2 miles how hard can it be?

Balls out, not literally, straight down the field and cross the road into the woods then wade across the river, rope for guidance if needed. Steep climb through bluebell covered woods which feels like one step forward two steps back. Tiptoe the cattle grid and slog up the road reaching the slopes of Shutlingsloe and eventually the summit trig. Turn around and return.

Roughly 19 minutes later it's all over.....how I kept the cake down I don't know....brilliant little race, loved it.

The race was watched by Chancellor of the exchequer George Osborne, I said to my wife I'm going to ask George what his thoughts are on the monetary value of fell racing. She said don't be a dick....I didn't ask.

Cheers to Noel and helpers, one of which was Lantern rouge...good to see you Simon.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

Thanks Darren. That's a pretty good summary of the fete and the race. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I've just sent the results to Brett.

Haha - brilliant Darren. Felt harder than last year (maybe just me). Quality race!

Quote Originally Posted by Tindersticks View Post
    ...down the field and cross the road into the woods then wade across the river, rope for guidance if needed. Steep climb through bluebell covered woods which feels like one step forward two steps back. Tiptoe the cattle grid and slog up the road reaching the slopes of Shutlingsloe and eventually the summit trig. Turn around and return.
    Be careful Darren, you'll have a queue of "purists" telling you this isn't a fell race
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell