Thread: Dogs

Re: Chased by dogs??????

Daz!! Wuff!, Wuff!!!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Dogs. Phobia? Don't laugh!

Evening,
    Advice please? Please don't laugh!
    I've never been particularly comfortable around dogs, I think I had a scary experience as a toddler. NEver been a great problem though.

Recently over the past few months I've become increasingly terrified of mid to large dogs. It's not totally irrational but I am scared to a ridiculous degree.

It's beginning to affect my running - there are routes I can't bring myself to do because there are dogs living along that way, I become utterly terrified and panicky when I see one ahead or hear a bark that is clearly not a small dog. I get to the point where I'm getting panic attacks when running and have occasionnally been close to not going out at all just in case I come across one! It's stupid I know but I need to do something about it because my favourite routes are cross-country dog-walking routes too and I don't want to be reduced to running on roads. It's getting steadily and rapidly worse.

Any advice please?
    Damn, I can't do that today, I'm wearing the wrong pants.

Re: Dogs. Phobia? Don't laug

Im sorry but i have no adivse but i feel for you!

Im am also a serious dog lover and dog owner - but i understand what you are saying and its a shame your running is being affected.
    Last edited by Al Fowler; 10-01-2009 at 05:45 PM.

P, most post delivery people have phobias of dogs, because you are running, they think your running target, it either makes them think your going to be a danger to them or owner, or you are playing a game, whichever way, i would walk calmly until you have passed them, or, this might sound bad to dog lovers, but get a dog whistle, it gives out a silent type low decibel of sound, and it shuts them up, i have a neighbour, who is a dirty mare and lets her dog ch*t on the grass at the front of my place, and a friend gave me a dog whistle, now when that dirty mares dog goes near the hedge i get the whistle, it has stopped going near there, for now! so its worth a try i guess, and they only cost about a pound from any dog home place.

I guess, its not much help, but one thing, do not stare the dogs out, gets them worse, i did this silly me when i was scared of a friends alsation dog, it didn't like me staring it out HAHA!

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    Im sorry but i have no adivse but i feel for you!

Im am also a serious god lover and dog owner - but i understand what you are saying and its a shame your running is being affected.

Is this Al, with his spelling mistakes again, as in he gets craps not cramps, or is it, he is a god lover and a dog owner, i do apologise if this is so!

Really sorry to hear of your predicament. I sympathise greatly. I used to be terrified of big dogs when I was young. I remember running round in circles in our street screaming with the local alsation running after me (I was very young, by the way ). The dog never did me any harm. All it wanted to do was play. It was probably very puzzled at the commotion I was kicking up.

I got over my phobia by pretending it wasn't there the subsequent times I passed it. I was terrified but nothing happened. I built up from there. Anyway, the small ones are probably worse than the big ones. The big ones are just soppy.

If you are able to, next time you're near one, ignore it. Pretent it's not there. It won't do anything to you and nothing will happen, I promise. Even if it runs up for a sniff, nothing will happen. They're enjoying the outdoors just like you are. They won't be interested in you.

I hope this helps.

Nick.

Hi NB,
    Al must be confusing dogs and deities (plural of deity?). I noticed he used a lower case g, you see.

[QUOTE=NirvanaBliss;186283] it has stopped going near there, for now! so its worth a try i guess, and they only cost about a pound from any dog home place.
    QUOTE]

ooh, the whistle might be an idea. I don't think my fluoro windproof helps either!
    The trouble is that if you don't know the dog, you don't know if s/he is 'just playing and totally harmless' as owners all seem to think or if that growling, barking and teeth baring is going to lead to something less fun. So many owners don't seem to be able to control their dogs - if it won't respond immediately to calls then it shouldn't be off the lead until it is properly trained. I'm pretty tall, it must be even more terrifying for a child.

having a large dog bounding towards you at speed and barking or trying to get under the gate of its garden isn't much fun.

I find myself always looking for nearby trees to climb 'just in case'!

I wonder if you can go on 'get over your dog fear' courses like you can for flying??
    Damn, I can't do that today, I'm wearing the wrong pants.

I agree with Nick.

You could also read this...

http://www.loveshack.org/forums/t123914/

A dog trainer says this...

It is true that dogs can sense a person's energy whether the energy is nervous, anxious, angry or calm, assertive or submissive. This tells a dog that you are weak.
    Weak animals are usually driven out of the pack or killed. This is nature's way of ensuring survival and procreation of the pack.
    I agree with the other posters about conquering your fear. Go to a local animal shelter and explain to them your fears. They will either think you're nuts or they will be sympathetic. A little tip of advise:
    If you decide to walk past many barking and jumping dogs, IGNORE THEM. Try thinking about anything other than the dogs. If you are confident and walk in there with head up, shoulders back, arms to the side and act like a leader, the dogs will respond to you in a positive way.
    If you go in there like a nervous nellie, the dogs will sense that and bark their heads off. When greeting a strange dog for the first time, remember this....No eye contact, no talking, no touching. Be calm and assertive.
    It would help you greatly if you knew someone who owns a submissive and friendly dog that will just love you up and isn't aggressive in any way. Take 'baby steps' in your rehabilitation. There's no need to rush. What you want to do is condition yourself to feel comfortable around dogs. Don't worry, you are not alone. There are thousands of people who fear dogs. Good luck.

Its not all you need to know, but what Nick says, is in there too...

Quote Originally Posted by BritNick View Post
    Hi NB,
    Al must be confusing dogs and deities (plural of deity?). I noticed he used a lower case g, you see.

Hi Nick.How are you? i know, hes probably got his dog and god mixed up, the day i meet him in a fell i shall give him a cross! LOL!