Thread: Co. Donegal?

Co. Donegal?

I expect I'm pushing my luck here, but I'm off to Ardara, County Donegal for the first half of August. Are there any off-road runners around there? Anyone got any contacts? I'm not expecting to find events, but it'd be nice to find someone to run with once or twice.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Re: Co. Donegal?

Quote Originally Posted by Splatcher View Post
    I expect I'm pushing my luck here, but I'm off to Ardara, County Donegal for the first half of August. Are there any off-road runners around there? Anyone got any contacts? I'm not expecting to find events, but it'd be nice to find someone to run with once or twice.
    god I spent Easter in Ardara about 15 years ago - great little place. Smashing pubs / bars, great Guinness.
    Not a clue about running ...

Best to ask that question here

http://www.imra.ie/forum/

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    god I spent Easter in Ardara about 15 years ago - great little place. Smashing pubs / bars, great Guinness.
    Not a clue about running ...
    Splatch, believe it or not, but one of Bowland FR's top runners lives in the vicinity of Letterkenny. Emigrated from Clitheroe about 7 or 8 years ago. I will try and find out some more precise details and PM you.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Thanks Pat, Wheeze, Zoot. I've posted on the Irish running site - I didn't know about that one so thanks again Pat. I'll see if I get any takers.
    Andy Robinson
    Helsby Running Club

You need to check out One Man's Pass, Slieve League, Co. Donegal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mB-Wm73bOM

http://www.geograph.ie/photo/2643463

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    Splatch, believe it or not, but one of Bowland FR's top runners lives in the vicinity of Letterkenny. Emigrated from Clitheroe about 7 or 8 years ago. I will try and find out some more precise details and PM you.
    I ran the Carrantouhill race a few years ago and a number of Bowland runners did very well (Bolland and Sweeney both sound Irish don't they!)

It's a pity you're not over a week or two earlier Andy, you'd have caught the Nephin race which now advises runners to take a compass in case you go over the other side of the mountain. Not having considered that possibility in 1999 I followed several local runners down the other side of the mountain taking 3 and a half hours over a race won in less than 50 minutes by John Lenihan, who, after all that time was waiting for us in the pub to find out what had happened!

I don't think there are any races over there in August although there's one in Tipperary but as you know it's a long way! In Donegal itself Muckish mountain's worth a run up from the Brockagh side!!

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    You need to check out One Man's Pass, Slieve League, Co. Donegal
    I've been up Slieve League a few times, but haven't been over there for 14 years. We'll probably have a family day out there. It's huge mountain scenery, with the top of the mountain so close to the sea. I'm looking forward to going back there.
    Andy Robinson
    Helsby Running Club