Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid things people have said

Re: Stupid things people have

[QUOTE=Hes;476530]I'm always getting daft comments thrown at me when running. The best one was quite funny and when I was limping along with a badly sprained ankle and a local man said 'bye lass, if tha was a horse tha'd shoot thee' (am not very good at the Yorkshire accent).

Latest was from a guy who'd positioned himself on the junction of a footpath and was sat on a shooting stick passing comment on walkers. I ran past and he asked if I was late for something and when I forced a laugh (I was on my 28th mile) and said no, he said 'if you'd set off earlier, you wouldn't have to run'...ooh how I split my sides

yeah well... you will go out running with Stolly

Oh don't start me on numpty comments made re running and the London Marathon! I have run 3 road mara's before I saw the light and became a fellrunner, or is that dark , but they obviously don't count as they were all shorter and much less hard than the London one. Besides, I didn't run for charity so how hard can it be?

When out for a run, whatever run, I invariably got asked: are you training for 'the' marathon? As if London is the only one and if that can be the only reason for running... No, I am just out enjoying myself in the sunshine on the Thames Towpath grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

OK, you guys have caught me in rant mode LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Livi View Post
    I'm new to this running thing, spent years marshalling and the like but only got off my backside last June. I am looking for sponsorship but over the year where I've set myself a 1000 mile challenge - have a look at my blog for more background.
    In chatting to many colleagues, mostly those based in London to be fair, they immediately ask if I'm training for the London marathon. When I say no but I am thinking ofdoing the Yorkshireman as I don't really like road running a few have said
    "Well the London is really the hardest marathon so not surprised you dont want to."
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

Banned

Top up yer petrol tanks. (Tory leader cameron 28 march 2012)

Any blokes who answer "Yes" whan asked by the missus "does my bum look big in this?"

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Top up yer petrol tanks. (Tory leader cameron 28 march 2012)
    Gordon Brown - "No return to boom and bust" on countless occasions between 1997 and 2008.

Banned

"Peace in our time", Chamberlain 30-9-1938

ha ha:thumbup:
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Whippet View Post
    yeah well... you will go out running with Stolly
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

I always get told when I'm sick, that I do too much and should slow down..the thought that I could have caught something off someone else doesnt seem to cross some peoples minds..
    someone also once told me that cycling doesnt raise your heart rate ? maybe he should try cycling over Rivington..

Senior Member Usually at the back's Avatar

I went to my doctor a few years ago with a hamstring problem, he told me to go home stop running and be a mother and a housewife, the comment didn't sink in until I had left the surgery, needless to say I try and avoid him now

Quote Originally Posted by okmum33 View Post
    I always get told when I'm sick, that I do too much and should slow down..the thought that I could have caught something off someone else doesnt seem to cross some peoples minds..
    someone also once told me that cycling doesnt raise your heart rate ? maybe he should try cycling over Rivington..
    That's one that really pees me off too (almost as much as the "have you done THE marathon then?"!). Last week I was ill with a virus, but recovered quickly and was back in work after two days. Half my work colleagues had been off with the same thing, and most of them for over a week, but I still got several "not good for you all that running" remarks! Grrrrr!