Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Swimming Any Good for Running?

Re: Swimming Any Good for Runn

It seems the general consensus is if you can supplement your running with a bit of swimming it's good for your aerobic capacity and general recovery.

thackley,near canal/river and old emmerdale

try different strokes to see which complement your running.
    i have found certain leg kicks can sort out knee problems,calf stiffness and hamstring strains.
    swimming hard under water helps stiff backs.
    play around with different movements.
    the only downside i found was that i cramp often on the sole of my feet,but thats more to an aggressive swim kick.
    good luck and enjoy

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar

I quit concentrating on fellrunning due to persistant/recurrent injuries & took up triathlon. Swimming is the discipline I struggle most with & because I don't like it I only swim a couple of times a week but they're structured. Warm-up, drills, main set, cool down & total between 2-4km. This coupled with 2 or 3 cycles & runs a week keeps my running at a reasonable level, perhaps 10-15% slower than I used to be........but this may also be due to age.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    ......but I always have a snivel, runny nose when I swim.. I think its just the chlorine irritating your nasal passages..
    Iain, some people are more susceptible to this than others & I'm one of them. The irritation is caused by poo & wee mixing with the chlorine :closed: rather than just the chlorine itself. Some people use prescription nasal sprays, but I didn't want to go down this route each swim. I used to use a clip, but kept losing them. I've tried saline rinses, but no joy. I now stick a bit of vaseline up each nostril before swims & find this much more effective.
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

suppose it really depends on how wet the summer is?

The muscles you use in running are not the same ones that you use in swimming.That is why the benefit isn't there.I do it to tighten everything up because I like being outside and it gives my shoulders a break.

Quote Originally Posted by (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner View Post
    The irritation is caused by poo & wee mixing with the chlorine :closed:
    It's losing it's appeal for me now as well!! Swimming is something I've always fancied, coming from a cycling background I want to do a Triathlon but have always shied away from swimming as you have to actually prepare to do it rather that just stepping out of the door, is swimming like running?? does it take a reasonable amount of time for it to begin to feel normal?? I generally feel I have a go and do a lot of thrashing around for not a lot of return, I'm a reasonable swimmer but generally end up kn*ckered so tend to lose interest.

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar

There is a huge amount of technique involved in swimming, that coupled with the fact that - as you mentioned - it takes time to get ready can make it a bit of a hassle.

When I started I couldn't swim a couple of lengths before I was knackered.The 2 huge helps that sorted me out were;

1. I started going along to a Masters class in which you start in a lane & position graded on you performance & then follow a structured session. This is sort of like doing a club session were you might do a warm-up, build, main session & cool-down. It really helps to have people around you & there should be an instructor who can give you some pointers.

2. I was given for Christmas a DVD set of SwimSmooth dvd's;

http://www.swimsmooth.com/

people also swear by Total Immersion;

http://www.totalimmersion.co.uk/

TI may give you a great smooth stroke, but some triathletes say that this does not transfer to rougher open water swimming very well.
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

thackley,near canal/river and old emmerdale

i used to be shattered when i swam,but just kept at it.
    swimsmooth also have a book out that i refered to along with there forum.
    what got me really going was swimming outside in the open,
    this is like fell running is to roads.
    i did a tri at capernway where the water was crystal clear
    I was watching fish as i swam,a bit further on a group of divers underneath,then an old wreck.
    i swam in ullsewater and semer water as part of tris,then a hard hilly bike followed by a fell run.
    brilliant,feel how i used to feel about running 30 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner View Post
    There is a huge amount of technique involved in swimming, that coupled with the fact that - as you mentioned - it takes time to get ready can make it a bit of a hassle.

When I started I couldn't swim a couple of lengths before I was knackered.The 2 huge helps that sorted me out were;

1. I started going along to a Masters class in which you start in a lane & position graded on you performance & then follow a structured session. This is sort of like doing a club session were you might do a warm-up, build, main session & cool-down. It really helps to have people around you & there should be an instructor who can give you some pointers.

2. I was given for Christmas a DVD set of SwimSmooth dvd's;

http://www.swimsmooth.com/

people also swear by Total Immersion;

http://www.totalimmersion.co.uk/

TI may give you a great smooth stroke, but some triathletes say that this does not transfer to rougher open water swimming very well.
    Many Thanks for the advice, I'll take a look at these, I sound a bit like the people who say 'I don't like running, never have'. it's like anything you have to do it to make it feel like a natural thing to be doing:thumbup:

I'm glad this has popped up! I started swimming lessons four weeks ago and just getting the hang of it. I never did much as a young en and I havnt swam for years. Deels really good just being in the water. I have the idea I want to do a tri at some point but mostly thought it would be good cross training.
    I enjoy it so far!
    http://www.mikkmurray.co.uk - My art and running blog! Go on.. Take a look!