Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Swimming Any Good for Running?

thackley,near canal/river and old emmerdale

Re: Swimming Any Good for Runn

i started a coule of years ago,
    getting into it now,
    its more technique than thrashing it.
    the more times in a week you do it the more it clicks or is easier to analise and correct.
    swimsmooth have a good book as well as the video and the book "swim speed secrets" by sheila taormina is very helpful.
    swimming open water instead of the pool is something else,
    like comparing fells to the road
    there are quite a few tris that involve off road/fell runs.
    220 mag is quite good for info but the prices of tri are very scarey.

Quote Originally Posted by dylan View Post
    but the prices of tri are very scarey.
    Got to agree with that was gobsmacked when a guy at work told me what he paid to enter an ironman!!

Analise?
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

HI
    Swimming is an excellent form of cardio, it works your entire body and gives your body a break from the constant pounding, i would suggest the butterfly and freestyle (front crawl) for the cardio and then breaststroke to cool down, i found swimming was excellent for me when i was pregnant and for when i couldn't run due to injuries,you will find that if you keep swimming as part of your routine you will develop stronger breathing, more muscle tone and suppleness which will all aid you in your running
    best of luck
    country-lass
    p.s i would suggest after a hard swim workout to have some complex carbs after as swimming unlike running can make you ravenously hungry !

Running always makes me ravenously hungry ! Especially once I get over 10 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by country-lass View Post
    HI
    Swimming is an excellent form of cardio, it works your entire body and gives your body a break from the constant pounding, i would suggest the butterfly and freestyle (front crawl) for the cardio and then breaststroke to cool down, i found swimming was excellent for me when i was pregnant and for when i couldn't run due to injuries,you will find that if you keep swimming as part of your routine you will develop stronger breathing, more muscle tone and suppleness which will all aid you in your running
    best of luck
    country-lass
    p.s i would suggest after a hard swim workout to have some complex carbs after as swimming unlike running can make you ravenously hungry !

Quite new to swimming, but have been swimming with my local Tri club for a couple of months even got up at 5:00am this week to go before work for a session . 1 hour session of dills, races ect none stop front crawl and although I get out of breath and my arms and shoulders ache, I get out the pool and can happily run for 3 hours on the hill or 40 mile+ bike ride, it does not knock it out of you like a 1 hour hard run would IMO.

My view from my limited experience so far is it will not get you fit for running; it is good for a recovery session on a light day instead of a recovery run. I will keep it up as I am getting better at it and am starting to quite enjoy it but I am convinced at the minute that to build good fitness it is simply not intense enough if you are looking to be in anyway competitive in a fell race.

ATB

Tahr
    Annan and District Athletic Club. http://www.adac.org.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by country-lass View Post
    HI
    .... as swimming unlike running can make you ravenously hungry !
    Having just recently run and ate my way along 140 miles of the north cornish coast path in 7 days I'd have to disagree.

As for swimming helping running, I think its absolutely brilliant for increasing your lung capacity (breathing while swimming is a bit like trying to play the didgerido ). Whilst on the subject, didgerido playing would I'm sure also be good training for running

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    Whilst on the subject, didgerido playing would I'm sure also be good training for running
    I'm thinking of an Alice Springs quadrathlon.

I have changed one of my strength training sessions to swimming having read that its good for ladies over a certain age to swim rather than just lifting weights and flinging kettle bells around. Also, good way of keeping fit when injured, one of the reasons I have a gym membership. But my G*D it is so Booooooooooooooring.......... I agree with country-lass it makes me hungry as well, I put it down to always being allowed a bag of Seabrook crips after swimming at Ripon pool as a kid, psychological, swimming = food.

Quote Originally Posted by SCharm View Post
    But my G*D it is so Booooooooooooooring..........
    Agreed, and the view is rubbish to compared to running :thunbdown: when swimming looking at bottom of pool, then breath see roof, bloody tiles on the bottom again. No nice veiws of tarns and hills ect.

ATB

Tahr
    Annan and District Athletic Club. http://www.adac.org.uk/