Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Swimming Any Good for Running?

Re: Swimming Any Good for Runn

Swimming is very good for your hip flexors, so if you have a problem in that area ie: tight groin, psoas strains etc then a bit of breast stroke will be beneficial. That's where all my ills start and I find it helps..

thackley,near canal/river and old emmerdale

im getting into open water swimming.no lanes.no turn arounds
    ,its like fell running to road running.

Whether you think swimming helps your running depends on whether you think cross training generally helps your running. I think it does because I think it helps prevent injury and build all round fitness, which I ultimately believe must be better for you. Just my opinion.

I used to swim a mile a day and I was the fittest I had ever been, although I used it on top of my training not as a recovery session.

Front crawl is excellent for core strength and learning to control your breathing. Personally I love the feeling of swimming front crawl, which when done properly almost feels effortless, sort of hypnotic when you get in the rhythm. I also most like my body shape when I swim :thumbup:

Gave up due to issues with sneezing. Just getting back into swimming now as part of my return to health and fitness after a long lay off. Loving it.

I too love open water swimming, which is like the difference between road running and fell running. Got into it when I did some olympic triathlons years ago. Different techniques needed such as sighting. I'm thinking of doing some 10k open water swims at some point. Open water swimmming is becoming popular and there are now open water events as well as much more information about where you can wild swim.

Did the 1500m open water swim Buttermere swim (utterlybuttermereswim.co.uk) last Saturday. Martin did the 5k, there was also a 10k. It was great. Best lake I've swam in so far, much better than Derwent, Coniston or Ullswater, water was clear and warmish. It was quite low key event very much like a fell race. There are bigger organised swims like Great North Swim, this weekend in Windermere, quite commercial like Great North Run, wouldn't do that. Epic Events also organise lake swims. Everyone is very friendly

thackley,near canal/river and old emmerdale

capernwray swims are on a wed,superb clear water.
    ellethorpe is another very clear clean smiw think it opens daily,
    just swam allethorpe,not as clear but still nice atmostphere

In my experience, swimming is good for running.

Along with cycling and walking...they all help in my opinion!

They all condition the body and different muscles, to make you overall stronger.

Its pretty much all I can do a the moment so I hope you're right!

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Quite new to swimming, but have been swimming with my local Tri club for a couple of months even got up at 5:00am this week to go before work for a session . 1 hour session of dills, races ect none stop front crawl and although I get out of breath and my arms and shoulders ache, I get out the pool and can happily run for 3 hours on the hill or 40 mile+ bike ride, it does not knock it out of you like a 1 hour hard run would IMO.

My view from my limited experience so far is it will not get you fit for running; it is good for a recovery session on a light day instead of a recovery run. I will keep it up as I am getting better at it and am starting to quite enjoy it but I am convinced at the minute that to build good fitness it is simply not intense enough if you are looking to be in anyway competitive in a fell race.

ATB

Tahr
    Try doing 10*50 fly off 1.30min turnaround, then you'll know about intense!
    Oh when the blues...go marching in...

50m at 1:30 is faster than I could do by a long way, but I have still done timed lengths to 800m as fast as I am able, given my poor technique I am probably working just as hard as the faster guys.

But maybe you are right chaddy, but just from my limited experienceof the swimmers in my local tri-club most will leave me for dead in the swim, but get out of the water and all but one would never be any were near me in a road run, switch that to a hill run and the gap would be even bigger. Whether that is typical or not unless your name is Brownlee I didn’t know.

ATB

Tahr
    Annan and District Athletic Club. http://www.adac.org.uk/

I swam through my 2month injury period of no running... Went from not being able to swim very well to being able to swim 1km in 30 mins but mainly breast stroke with a few lengths of crawl thrown in. Been back running a few months now and have continued to swim once a week if I can fit it in... I think its helped me loads with toning up and breathing etc. May even try a sprint next year but need a bike first!