Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: record store day

record store day

vinyl is back ! anybody buy anything ? ( and not to put on ebay tomorow )

Re: record store day

I never heard about this until it was on the news!!! Bit irritating that! Tho' I think I'd probably not of bought owt!
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by that_fjell_guy View Post
    I never heard about this until it was on the news!!! Bit irritating that! Tho' I think I'd probably not of bought owt!
    Yes I threw away my MP3 player, with its 3000 songs and bought 3 pieces of vinyl instead - they look great but what do I play them on? I also rode into town on a horse and bought the first three pages of the latest Iain Banks book which had been released as stone tablets. This retro revival is brilliant.
    Last edited by noel; 22-04-2012 at 09:26 AM. Reason: More typos

I've got a lot of records on vinyl. MP3s are great for convenience, but you can't beat the sound of thick vinyl on a decent stereo. If I really like an album I'll buy the vinyl version.

There's no doubt that if you have the space, time and interest vinyl is a superior product and gives a better feeling of the period if you're interested in older stuff. Buying a cd of seventies stuff for instance isnt the same as getting the original, or even facsimile copies of the original vinyl l.p. Holding the cover etc gives another dimension to the experience. I'm all for 'modern' kit and product, being the pround owner of a NiamUniti, but it doesnt make it superior.

Love my vinyl, Systemdeck turntable with Linn basik arm, old Nytech amp etc. playing vinyl is all rather "Zen" like. But then I also enjoy split cane fishing rods, don't have a mobile, no idea how an ipod works, wear sandals or go barefoot, have long hair and a beard . Being in ones 60th year has it's rewards - I don't give a toss!!!
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo Dan View Post
    I've got a lot of records on vinyl. MP3s are great for convenience, but you can't beat the sound of thick vinyl on a decent stereo. If I really like an album I'll buy the vinyl version.
    Same for me. Buy most stuff these days on CD and stick a few bits and bobs on the iPhone, but you can't beat vinyl for the full-on listening experience... don't buy that much, but it's a right treat when I do. The heavyweight vinyl re-issue of 'Young Team' by Mogwai with all its attendant gubbins is a highlight of my life!
    Geoff Clarke

@Molehill. Mines a Systemdek, tho' it needs setting up since we moved 10 months ago!! And roll on 60 btw...I'll be that man!! Tho' its best not to 'wish' your life away I think, so I'll enjoy my 50's first.

@Hank. Mogwai 'Young Team' on vinyl sounds intriguing! I might have a look...tho see above as to wether a purchase makes sense yet!

Quote Originally Posted by that_fjell_guy View Post
    @Hank. Mogwai 'Young Team' on vinyl sounds intriguing! I might have a look...tho see above as to wether a purchase makes sense yet!
    Link below. I think the deluxe edition is pretty hard to get hold of now as it was limited to 2000 copies. This one's selling for £125! I think it was £30 when it came out so you might get your mitts on one for something more like that if you're lucky. 'Tis a thing of beauty.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Young-Team-E...5104083&sr=1-3
    Geoff Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    Same for me. Buy most stuff these days on CD and stick a few bits and bobs on the iPhone, but you can't beat vinyl for the full-on listening experience... don't buy that much, but it's a right treat when I do. The heavyweight vinyl re-issue of 'Young Team' by Mogwai with all its attendant gubbins is a highlight of my life!
    My copy of Happy Songs for Happy People is a thing a beauty. I've got a limited edition white vinyl of Mwng by the Super Furries too....