Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: record store day

Master

Re: record store day

Nice thread. My buy-to-sell ratio is 20:1, waiting for the vinyl revival.

the place to go for all your vinyl junkie needs is DISCOGS

mogwai - young team deluxe - for sale
    Adam Speed
    P&B

Fascinating to watch this wheel turning. Held on to my mainly 70's vinyl collection but stopped buying early 90's. CD's since then. Have only ever purchased one album 'digitally'. Son (now in his 20's) buys vinyl for his most important music purchases.
    I guess having the vinyl is like having your own 'master' copy of the original. A ripped digital version for consumption on the go and the vinyl for a serious session. A bit like a hamburger versus a fine fillet.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Does vinyl really sound better than a proper CD player / amp / speaker combo? I have a cupboard full of vinyl and nothing to play it on. The amp has a phono stage so should I be buying a turntable?

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    Does vinyl really sound better than a proper CD player / amp / speaker combo? I have a cupboard full of vinyl and nothing to play it on. The amp has a phono stage so should I be buying a turntable?
    I guess it's subjective as to whether it sounds "better", I certainly think it sounds different though... just kind of bigger, wider, fuller, more space in the sound. And nothing sounds better than that first crackle and pop when you drop the needle on some fresh vinyl!

I bought a Project Debut III for around £150 and run it through a decent Cambridge amp... sounds pretty good to me and looks pretty cool too. http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=debut
    Geoff Clarke

Yeah it does, as long as you have a good turntable and stylus. It's definitely a case of you get what you pay for. You should also make sure you have a level/solid surface for the player to stand on, it will make all the difference.

When pricing up you should also take into account the price of a good quality interconnect and make sure your speaker cable is up to scratch while your at it.

Got loads of vinyl myself but with the introduction of junior I had to give up my room with my records and turntables in to make way for a nursery. Knew at the point i'd not be getting the room back for at least 18 years so I sold my 1200's and miss them dearly.

Will be picking up a turntable when I've got funds to get something decent. I'm running a Roksan amp, and B+W book shelf speakers so need something of equal stature. I've also got some Quad floor standers which again had to go due to crawling child. They're currently on the bedroom set up of rotel amp, and marantz cd. Might sell the Quads if anyone is after a very good set of floor standers?
    Last edited by The devil's own; 23-04-2012 at 12:57 PM.
    "That was the night everything changed"

It certainly sounds very different, but more to the point, I enjoy the handling of vinyl and the physical aspect of a turntable and the mechanics - just great dropping that stylus into the grooves .....snap, crackle, hiss etc. and off she goes!
    Peacefull to watch it all going around - or am I very sad?
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

$650,000!
    Last edited by The devil's own; 23-04-2012 at 01:10 PM.
    "That was the night everything changed"

What I do agree with is that a CD cover has never matched the 12x12 sleeve. There's a proper record shop a mile or so away from here, maybe it's time I paid it a visit?

High quality well looked after vinyl on a decent turntable always beats CDs. Digital formats compress the sound wave clipping the top and bottom and losing parts of the sound.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question487.htm