Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: record store day

Re: record store day

[QUOTE=Dynamo Dan;479961]...... Digital formats compress the sound wave clipping the top and bottom and losing parts of the sound. ...

MP3s are absolute desicration of finely crafted music. They not only (clip) CHOP the extremetees but squash what is left into a smush of the original. I find it hilarious that people spend up to £150 on things like this http://beatsbydre.com/ to listen to MP3s! if only they knew.
    Adam Speed
    P&B

Quote Originally Posted by superflyguy View Post
    MP3s are absolute desicration of finely crafted music. They not only (clip) CHOP the extremetees but squash what is left into a smush of the original. I find it hilarious that people spend up to £150 on things like this http://beatsbydre.com/ to listen to MP3s! if only they knew.
    Yeah, but let's face it... squashing it into a smush is probably a good thing for music that Dr Dre had anything to do with making!

Kids today. Bet they've never owned an acetate in their lives. Grumble grumble, I remember when this internet was all fields....

I've got one of these it's not the very best, but it's very good value for money http://www.project-audio.com/main.ph...tables&lang=en

I'd almost convinced myself into one of these earlier,

http://www.project-audio.com/main.ph...tables&lang=en

Or a Rega RP3?

http://www.rega.co.uk/html/RP3.htm

Neil Young (who he?) has been been banging on about the curse of digital for years, and there is an excellent but very technical book about the history of recorded sound (Perfecting Sound Forever: The Story of Recorded Music-Greg Milner) which illustrates why MP3 players are the sperm of the devil.

On the other hand Bob Dylan (OK, all my idols are being wheeled out) allegedly mixed one album after listening to it through some cheap portable radio with rubbish speakers etc because he believed that's how most people would hear the songs.

And once upon a time records were cut as to how they would sound best in a juke box (ie over the clatter of the coffee bar) because more hit records (in the USA) were bought by juke box operators than by individuals.

It's a funny old world.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 24-04-2012 at 06:49 AM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Neil Young (who he?) has been been banging on about the curse of digital for years, and there is an excellent but very technical book about the history of recorded sound (Perfecting Sound Forever: The Story of Recorded Music-Greg Milner) which illustrates why MP3 players are the sperm of the devil.

On the other hand Bob Dylan (OK, all my idols are being wheeled out) allegedly mixed one album after listening to it through some cheap portable radio with rubbish speakers etc because he believed that's how most people would hear the songs.

And once upon a time records were cut as to how they would sound best in a juke box (ie over the clatter of the coffee bar) because more hit records (in the USA) were bought by juke box operators than by individuals.

It's a funny old world.
    Here's Old Shakey on the subject himself: http://musicunderfire.com/2012/04/ne...d-quality.html

Apparently he's trying to create a better digital format to "rescue the art form I've been practising for 50 years"

I get where ol' Neil's coming from, but for some artists and their listeners it's just not important. Look at someone like the Arctic Monkeys, when they broke it was through their music being readily available online and accessible to so many people. I'm guessing to those people mint sound quality, compression, bit rates and all that was irrelevant to their enjoyment of the music... they were just buzzing off this new band who were putting music out there for them to hear.

Also, artists like Bradford Cox/Atlas Sound have released tons of music through free, download-only MP3s. It's a great way for artists and fans to share a large volume of music. There's room for vinyl, CD and MP3 as different people want different things from their music.
    Geoff Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    I get where ol' Neil's coming from, but for some artists and their listeners it's just not important. Look at someone like the Arctic Monkeys, when they broke it was through their music being readily available online and accessible to so many people. I'm guessing to those people mint sound quality, compression, bit rates and all that was irrelevant to their enjoyment of the music... they were just buzzing off this new band who were putting music out there for them to hear.

Also, artists like Bradford Cox/Atlas Sound have released tons of music through free, download-only MP3s. It's a great way for artists and fans to share a large volume of music. There's room for vinyl, CD and MP3 as different people want different things from their music.
    I agree with you Hank I was listening to mp3s in my car on the way to work this morning. There's a lot to be said for the convenience and ability to share mp3s easily.

It's great that there's a revival in vinyl though, when I heard Harvest on vinyl it was a revelation after years of growing up listening to CDs. It's like eating a burger and eating a rump steak, both are enjoyable and have their place, but the quality of the steak is plain to see!

I kept my vinyl, too. Anyone know when purple flares and cheesecloth shirts are due a revival?