Thread: This morning I was rudely awak

This morning I was rudely awak

This morning I was rudely awakened about 4.30a.m.(I think) by a naked man, standing at the end of my bunk and relieving himself on the dormitory carpet! (Keswick YHA) :w00t:

My response wasn't the best. My immediate thought was to shout something along the lines of "oi..what the hell are you doing!?" or words to similar effect.
    But then I thought...he's either:
    Totally trolleyed or asleep,
    and considering his trajectory was in very close proximity to the bottom bunk just across from me, I realised that I may not be thanked for startling him!
    There were no suitable containers to hand and by the time I'd thought about it some more, he'd crawled back into bed and was snoring his head off.

I was wondering how forumites would deal with such an incident, what would be considered as best practice?
    Do what you like, like what you do

Re: This morning I was rudely

Hmmm...tricky! I'm not sure what the best tactic is. I bawled out some American girls in a hostel in Seville once and it did work. They'd thrown up all over the floor of the bathroom and were then drinking and turning the light on and off at 4am. I asked them politely to stop it and go to sleep and they said 'we're on a different time zone' to which I snapped and told them to 'get on the f'ing European time zone or f' right off' and surprisingly they actually shut up. I rarely lose my temper but it paid off.
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

Great Uncle Bulgaria

Not such an uncommon event as one would like to imagine. Experience from younger days and working in a different world indicates that brutality and public scorn does the trick. Public verbal humiliation is a starting point and move up the scale from there. In the years prior to the advent of human rights and 'understanding personal issues' my miliatry colleagues believed in an early and very kinetic intervention to prevent repeat offending.

A bit of understanding, surely? After all, we've all done something similar, haven't we?
    Haven't we?

I think I'd have done about the same as you Fellgazelle, I'm afraid.

My only advice would be, get a tent! I haven't had anything like that whilst camping. The closest I got was in Feb when I was woken up at Langdale by some uncouth rowdies and felt slightly peeved, but then all was forgiven in the morning when got out of my tent and saw how one of them had spent the night: curled up in an old bivi with his boots next to him and his feet poking out the end.

That'd be nice, I thought, waking up in that, hungover, on a cold, drizzly February morning and pulling on your wet boots.

I felt like making him a cup of tea. I didn't in the end, but instead just looked at him while I drank mine, lying there like a sack of potatoes.
    Josh Hubbard - Ambleside AC

Quote Originally Posted by Great Uncle Bulgaria View Post
    Public verbal humiliation is a starting point and move up the scale from there. In the years prior to the advent of human rights and 'understanding personal issues' my miliatry colleagues believed in an early and very kinetic intervention to prevent repeat offending.
    I like it - very nicely put !!

I must admit that I would certainly have shouted at the offender in this situation and then in the morning made sure that the other people were aware of what had happened and see if the offender was as happy to come forward has he was hours previously.

I have been in a similar situation when several of us were attending a course in a large room when there was a bang which woke the room up. When the light went on a guy was found with his boxers round his ankles backing into a wardrobe - but no deposit had been made. He was publically humilliated for weeks afterwards and we made sure that the word was spread amongst our small cohort.
    Paul C.

... continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.

A mate of mine a good few years ago went through a spate of weeing in bad places whilst in deep drunken sleep... these included, but were not confined to, the corner of a living room behind a TV (at a party!), a wardrobe and an oven. Oh, and himself, asleep on a sofa (at another party). What a guy.
    Geoff Clarke

As long as it was nowhere near me or my stuff I'd have probably laughed. It could have been worse, at least it was only pee :w00t:
    "That was the night everything changed"

Some interesting advice here, and this type of thing is obviously not as uncommon as I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Conan187 View Post
    It could have been worse, at least it was only pee :w00t:
    Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by L.F.F. View Post
    My only advice would be, get a tent! I haven't had anything like that whilst camping.
    Yes, personally I would choose this option, but the friend I was with is a self confessed lightweight and makes it quite clear that his camping days are behind him so we chose the YHA.
    Do what you like, like what you do