Thread: Positive Mental Attitude

Positive Mental Attitude

45 today and almost a year to the day that I've been carrying knee injury (picked up on 3P and finally became unbearable on Rydal Round). I've learnt a lot in last twelve months about how to manage injury, but probably most important of all is to have a positive mind set. Hey, I may not be able to manage races such as 3P, Edale, Borrowdale etc., but I'm still able to walk and cycle in the hills. I've learnt to stop looking back to where I was at a year ago and have started focusing on little steps to full recovery. Did 20 min run in local woods on Thursday and it was sheer joy. My new positive focus seems to be bringing rewards, off to Lakes for walk tomorrow and weather looks really good, also, guess what postman delivered this morning? Fellrunner mag!! On the front cover is pic of runners finishing 3P, what more motivation could I need? Happy injury free running everyone. Hope to see you all at a race sometime soon.

Re: Positive Mental Attitude

Good luck to you smoggy... reading between the lines (not something that's very reliable on a forum!), it sounds like this injury has been quite a blow to you.

I've spent from November training for a BG... did 10,000; / week most weeks and numerous trips to the Lakes; all support and logistics in place and considering tapering at the start of May... then ate a kebab and developed Campylobacter food poisoning... it all went down the pan... literally.

After all that work and time devoted to it... bugger!!!

But now the window of opportunity has finally gone (realised I hadn't recovered enough for another attempt this year) I have steadily adjusted to the positives and the BG, whilst still an ambition, can wait.

I am still knackered; have lost a great deal of fitness and feel as though there has been a huge amount of wasted effort on my part and others, but it's not the end of the world and there are other ambitions to persue.

Good luck mate and keep ypur glass half full.
    www.macclesfield-harriers.co.uk
    Teggs Nose Fell Race Saturday 4th August 2018 14.30

Simon Cartledge

Quote Originally Posted by smoggy View Post
    45 today and almost a year to the day that I've been carrying knee injury (picked up on 3P and finally became unbearable on Rydal Round). I've learnt a lot in last twelve months about how to manage injury, but probably most important of all is to have a positive mind set. Hey, I may not be able to manage races such as 3P, Edale, Borrowdale etc., but I'm still able to walk and cycle in the hills. I've learnt to stop looking back to where I was at a year ago and have started focusing on little steps to full recovery. Did 20 min run in local woods on Thursday and it was sheer joy. My new positive focus seems to be bringing rewards, off to Lakes for walk tomorrow and weather looks really good, also, guess what postman delivered this morning? Fellrunner mag!! On the front cover is pic of runners finishing 3P, what more motivation could I need? Happy injury free running everyone. Hope to see you all at a race sometime soon.
    It's almost 3yrs to the month since my knee injury hit me, i've been having Shockwave Therapy sessions every week for the last 5wks as it was thought this treatment would be suitable. The physio says one more session then i'm going to be doing a run on it- first run since february. I've found it very difficult to maintain or even achieve a PMA over the last 3yrs; i've been through 5 physios and heard all sorts of advice from other runners. I've always wanted to be capable of 15m races, but realistically i'd settle for 10m/wk. The physio is very pleased with how ESWT is breaking down the problem but i'm not feeling very confident at all, i'm all doom and gloom with it all but thank f*** you're not because it's a very gloomy place to be. I hope you do end up doing Borrowdale again, i hear it's a god one.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by smoggy View Post
    Well done smoggy, a PMA is the only way to go, negativity gets folk nowhere, Keep Smiling
    Oh, and Happy Birthday, av a good un!
    Last edited by stevefoster; 14-07-2012 at 01:39 PM.
    Hills and Guinness!