Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: jacks rake, pavey ark

jacks rake, pavey ark

miss a, " Andy where is Jacks Rake the rocks look great! " me " its on a hill in the lakes called Pavey Ark, Langdale area ". miss a " ok will you take me up it, it'll be fun! " me " ok will do...... "

A fairly straight forward conversation, but what I haven't let on to miss a, is that actually I havent got the best head for heights ( she has no clue, she thinks im like a fearless mountain man or something lol ), and after reading up a bit, I see the rake is actually graded as a rock climb :boohoo:

So how bad is it? Wainright reckons its at the limit of what 'walkers' can achieve :closed:

Im praying for snow in the forecast so it'll be out of bounds :thumbup:

Re: jacks rake, pavey ark

Its fairly do-able. Not too exposed, but you probably need a bit of a head for heights. There is a couple of short 'climbs' of 10-15' but they're more big juggy scrambles. I've taken a few people up including our lass who does have issues re: height. Its worth looking, its really a narrow ledge at 45 degree running up the cliff face. There are a couple of places where you might have problems down-climbing too, so once you're committed thats it, I'd say.

Super Moderator

All runnable :closed:
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Don't tell me, it's a Trail route:closed:
    Hills and Guinness!

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek! Good Luck Rev!

http://www.walkingenglishman.com/lakes6.htm
    Hills and Guinness!

Went up it a couple of years ago with my eight year old daughter.
    I did rope her up from halfway. A bit exposed at the top.

You're not going to impress Miss A , though, if you turn into a jibbering wreck yourself half way up!

Let us know how you went on!

I don't think there's any of it that I'd consider a climb (I don't think it's rated above an easy scramble in guides). There are a couple of sections that are a bit exposed higher up, but you're committed at that point, so you might as well get on with it! I seem to remember there's a section around mid-way that is much easier out to the left of the groove... although more exposed it avoids what are probably the trickiest moves on the whole thing. I did it with my girlfriend a couple of years ago and (couple of wobbles aside!) it was awesome. Enjoy!
    Geoff Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    'ow about a night-time time trial DT? (minus risk assessment of course)

Master

There is a spot about 1/4 - 1/3 of the way up the face of Pavey Ark where the rocks steepen and push you back - here you have to decide - do I go on or do I climb back down? This spot also requires some arm strength which some people may not have so they may need a push from below/pull from above. This is the only hard bit, AS LONG AS YOU ARE OK WITH THE VIEW - you are just a foot or two from a fatal drop a lot of the way. Do not try it if it is wet/icy/snow covered/windy.

It's OK - I'd take my kids up it no problem, & my dad took me up it when I was a kid. There's nothing technically difficult, although you need to use your hands in places. As long as you follow the route, which is obvious, the risk of a serious fall is very small. It's exciting if you're not used to this sort of territory, as it slants up a rock face, with rock climbs above and below you. Easier and safer than Striding Edge or Sharp Edge in my view.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club