Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cycle To Work

Cycle To Work

I am considering cycling to work. Its about 9 miles but the problem is that there are no showers. Does anybody else do this and how do you get round the no shower problem?

Thanks

Re: Cycle To Work

Not being flippant but you will just have to make do with a sink. Make sure to bring a small towel to dry off and dry up the flood you cannot avoid making.

I have cycled to work for years, (don't now) but I run from the office a couple of mornings a week
    Last edited by DrPatrickBarry; 27-04-2012 at 02:06 PM.

I used to do a 32 mile round trip and made do with a bag of wet wipes... I'm a teacher though so you can always blame the smell on a child. Keep your hair short though, sweaty helmet hair is not pleasant.

A whore's bath with a packet of wet wipes, plenty of Lynx and a splash in the sink works for me when I ride to work. Short hair is a good tip too!

Baby wipes, a wash basin, a towel and some anti-perspirant works ok for me. 20km each way, but tend to drive on really bad days and take clean clothes/towels in

4 years of commuting 12 miles each way by bike 4 days a week; take fresh clothes in on the car day. Wet wipes and plenty of deoderant works for me, no complaints from HR yet!

I used to commute 6 miles each way, often didn't shower at work even though there was one. really depends on how sweaty you get/how hard you cycle. as others have said, wet wipes, small towel & sink, deoderant, and clean fresh smelling clothes. I'd often shower at home before cycling so I'd only really need to have a sink wash to freshen up.
    if you don't have dry bags (alpkit gourdons are great) get one so yr clothes stay dry. I used to take a weeks worth of clothes in on Monday to avoid having to carry much the rest of the week. sometimes takes a bit of planning - you will undoubtably have a day when you arrive at work and have forgotten socks/underwear/shirt etc so just plan and know where yr nearest clothes shop is!!!

thackley,near canal/river and old emmerdale

i cycle or run the 10 miles to work.
    i have showers but used to have to use the sink,
    take a flannel soaked in shower gel,use a swimmers absorbant towel.
    i keep my shoes and pants at work and take a fresh shirt and undies and socks every day in a bum bag.
    when i run to work i ensure that when i get there i have some fluids to down asap or carry a bottle in warm weather.
    pace is the key,if your steady enough you wont be as smelly

Quote Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
    undoubtedly have a day when you arrive at work and have forgotten.....
    Me last week after a run from outside the office. Lucky I had my cash card so I had to toddle off to Asda to buy a shirt and trousers Went the whole day in the office in my "holey" socks because my manky trainers were even worse - great.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
    you will undoubtably have a day when you arrive at work and have forgotten socks/underwear/shirt etc so just plan and know where yr nearest clothes shop is!!!
    or you could just go commando - add a certain frisance (sp?) to the working day. Not that I'd get away with it, the amount of time I leave the toilet forgetting to do up my fly.

I've found a shower at work, and although it's within easy running distance (5miles) it's such a dull run I save myself for the evening. One guy does get by on a 'Teesside shower', but seeing as I work in a fermentation hall which smells of E. coli (not that I notice any more) no-one would notice the smell (another 'perk' is being able to fart quite freely, safe in the knowledge that you'll most likely get away with it...)
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy