Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Three P footware - post mortem

Re: Three P footware - post mo

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Wore my Inov-8 272 for the last time in a long fell race. After blistering the ball of my right heel on all 3 ALs I've done in them it's time to consign them to XC and short fell races and get myself a pair of La Sportivas, Salomons or Wave Harriers.
    Have a look at the New Balance MT101s or 110s they're great for training and long stuff. They're cheap too.

I like New Balance - had them before - used to pass the shop at Shap a lot and got some great running shoes and prefered their Walsh lookalike to the Walsh PBs.

So I'm interested in the 110s, but are they available here? I can only find US sellers.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I like New Balance - had them before - used to pass the shop at Shap a lot and got some great running shoes and prefered their Walsh lookalike to the Walsh PBs.

So I'm interested in the 110s, but are they available here? I can only find US sellers.

Sports direct sell them for £39 and the Shap shop will deliver if you give them a call. Check the Mt110 have arrived thread in equipment lots of glowing praise on there.

I went with Mudclaws the hard pack stuff and road dont bother me in them a bit to muddy for x talons glad i didnt go with them.

I used my Salomon Fellcross, brilliant for the course and conditions :-)

Roclite 312, perfect, again !

Quote Originally Posted by Jez Hellewell View Post
    Roclite 312, perfect, again !
    Shoulda worn fell shoes!!! Spent a good hour yesterday washing a tonne of Yorkshire mud out of my bright,new Puma trailfox trail shoes that I bought especially for the 3Ps.Grrrrrr!!!!! Cumbria has been dry for a month and I was definately caught out. Running towards the back of 800 people was more like wading through a mud bath. Lost one shoe in a bog between PYG and Ribblehead and was running along in my sock for a bit before my momentum slowed and I could go back and heave it out (made a big shlooppy poppy sound). Then wasted 5 mins untying laces and putting it back on.30 people sailed past... then saw a guy disappear up to his waist at the bottom of Whernside It waslike a Tarzan film.
    The extra cushioningIi got on the short road section did not compensate. Oh well, at least I have an excuse for my slowest time ever-that and the wind, and thats another story!!!
    " Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself. "

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie May View Post
    Shoulda worn fell shoes!!! Spent a good hour yesterday washing a tonne of Yorkshire mud out of my bright,new Puma trailfox trail shoes that I bought especially for the 3Ps.Grrrrrr!!!!! Cumbria has been dry for a month and I was definately caught out. Running towards the back of 800 people was more like wading through a mud bath. Lost one shoe in a bog between PYG and Ribblehead and was running along in my sock for a bit before my momentum slowed and I could go back and heave it out (made a big shlooppy poppy sound). Then wasted 5 mins untying laces and putting it back on.30 people sailed past... then saw a guy disappear up to his waist at the bottom of Whernside It waslike a Tarzan film.
    The extra cushioningIi got on the short road section did not compensate. Oh well, at least I have an excuse for my slowest time ever-that and the wind, and thats another story!!!
    You must have been looking hard for the mud! I thought it was incredibly dry, considering how much rain has come down over the past few weeks.

Yes, the bit up the "bump" and then down to the stream after you've come of PYG was a bit muddy, and the foot of Whernside was also wet, but then again, those spots are wet even when it's been really dry. I'm struggling to think of any other bits where it was particularly wet.

For me, true fell shoes like mudclaws or mudrocs would have been horrendous, especially the road section, and coming off both Whernside and Ingleborough. My "light" fell shoes were fine, and to be honest good trail shoes with cushioning would have been fine as well.
    Richard Foster, North Leeds Fell Runners, Airienteers Orienteering Club & Leeds Adel Hockey Club

Wore my Salomon Speedcross, enough cushioning, enough grip so they were pretty perfect. Little tight around the toe box and inner sole moves around slightly but think it was a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy View Post
    You must have been looking hard for the mud! I thought it was incredibly dry, considering how much rain has come down over the past few weeks.

Yes, the bit up the "bump" and then down to the stream after you've come of PYG was a bit muddy, and the foot of Whernside was also wet, but then again, those spots are wet even when it's been really dry. I'm struggling to think of any other bits where it was particularly wet.

For me, true fell shoes like mudclaws or mudrocs would have been horrendous, especially the road section, and coming off both Whernside and Ingleborough. My "light" fell shoes were fine, and to be honest good trail shoes with cushioning would have been fine as well.
    You can add to that the new descent of PYG, the left turn up and over from the Ribble Way, limestone pavement, sulber nick... It was my 4th and the muddiest. I'm not saying it was horrendous - I've reccied it in worse, but it was certainly muddier than recent years and quite sticky mud as well. My wife commented on the weight of my Inov8 272s afterwards.
    I think it's also fair to say that us mere plodders at the back probably got the trods at their worst.