Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Hypothermia

alwaysinjured
    Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Or possible have safer escape routes marked on race maps.
    That serves a different purpose.
    In many cases it is not the terrain, it is the distance from safety that is the problem, that might lead to attempts to take undesirable short cuts. (to avoid naming names/places) - would not have helped previously at Kentmere either.

image.jpg
    Still the bible ?

AMEN Lefty
    pies

Weird! Twice in the space of 24 hours that I've seen that book referenced.

Competitor - "Must study causes of, symptoms of in both ones self and other competitors".

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    image.jpg
    Still the bible ?
    Definitely!

Great news about the booklet, the more people that are aware of how easy it is to get hypothermic, the better.

I'd go with descent options.. a tent would be handy..but say Foel Fras race.,. 2009? half the field were in the shit.. in the alps they have huts which can take 10's of people.. 1 tent in seriously bad weather is pissing in the wind.. I'm not saying don't have tents set up, but I wouldn't use them as pre-identified places to target...

pre-identified descent routes, which should be pre-identified by any sane runner, we all do it subconsiously really, would be useful.

Its a bit of a logical fallacy that AI.. finding an isolated tent is harder than finding a valley floor or road, especially in the lakes/snowdonia..

Your last statement just doesn't bare scrutiny, if lost they don't know where A is to get to B.. I'm wary of excessive safety nets.. I think you then encourage the push on mentality, because they what if is answered.. 'well they have the tent'...

Many years ago in the Edale Skyline race in particularly bad weather I collapsed unconscious near to the checkpoint at Edale Cross. I was young and inexperienced in those days and clearly didn't understand the early symptoms of hypothermia or Exposure as it was called in those days. Luckily I was spotted going down by the checkpoint marshals who were the local MRt. When I came to I was inside a tent in a sleeping bag with another person in the bag with me warming me up. I was then taken down Jacobs Ladder strapped into a stretcher.Not a pleasant experience. Back at the hall the place was like a war zone with lots of people there in various stages of distress.
    Inexperience and a lack of proper knowledge nearly cost me my life on that occasion. Experience is something that is hard earned but knowledge is something that can be gained by study etc or better still by speaking to others.

alwaysinjured
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Many years ago in the Edale Skyline race in particularly bad weather I collapsed unconscious near to the checkpoint at Edale Cross. I was young and inexperienced in those days and clearly didn't understand the early symptoms of hypothermia or Exposure as it was called in those days. Luckily I was spotted going down by the checkpoint marshals who were the local MRt. When I came to I was inside a tent in a sleeping bag with another person in the bag with me warming me up. I was then taken down Jacobs Ladder strapped into a stretcher.Not a pleasant experience. Back at the hall the place was like a war zone with lots of people there in various stages of distress.
    Inexperience and a lack of proper knowledge nearly cost me my life on that occasion. Experience is something that is hard earned but knowledge is something that can be gained by study etc or better still by speaking to others.
    Edale can be foul. I have done in serious ice and snow, horizontal sleet, and oddly in baking sun too! If it was around the mid nineties lefty, it could been a day I did it which I remember as particularly cold!

It kind of proves a point. Having access to a safety tent and warming up stuff, particularly at a pinch point on a course can save a life.

Edale cross is just such a place, so would the col from ill bell to high street, so would the col from causey to sail, or sail to eel. So would black sail on wasdale. Without getting into desparate ground, it is hard to miss them, provided you do not drop off steeply on either side. So easy(er) to find. A lot of the tops and ridges down are so wide you can miss the top completely. Judith? High Street? A lot of the cols are narrow.

Edale always has managed to get a lot of marshalls out. Not so kentmere,sailbeck etc.

I did Ennerdale a few years back. I arrived at CP 3 - the Tarn - inside the cut-off but severely blistering and informed the marshalls that I was DNFing and would make my way down to the what I think is Black Sail Hut and back down the road to the Finish.
    It took me 2.5 hours to get back - it was an unbelievably long way.
    I did stop and wash my feet, changed my socks and jogged it, but I also made the error of crossing the lake at he top and running down the South edge, thinking it would be quicker, but with blistered feet I may as well have been going over Kirk Fell

I'm only really posting this because I've done quite a bit of racing and see myself as ticking the ER box, but that was another level for me.
    You are so remote at CP3 that you almost may as well complete the race.

the weather was great, I had a smashing day out and the 2 guys from CLEM that I drove up with completed well. I had no one to blame but me.