Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Hypothermia

Re: Hypothermia

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Harrier View Post
    Contributing factors were cold continuous heavy rain, very strong winds and flimsy 'windproof' body cover which doesn't keep the wet out, you can see some very wet runners on Al Tye's photos.
    The problem is even light weight waterproofs, never mind windproofs, will wet out in no time..so once its pushed up against wet skin + strong wind and heat loss is rapid..

Light weight gear is great, but its not as good as heavy weight gear.. there is a compromise..

Wasn't that race shortened though?

Sunday was horrific though, in north wales it was 3/4 Deg C.. heavy rain and strong winds.. it doesn't get much worse.. the warden at the pass was saying that noone made snowdon summit that day as all turned back..

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Harrier View Post
    Several runners were hypothermic at Mynnydd Troed at the weekend despite a shortened route. (see comments at http://www.fellrace.com/mynyddtroed). One was taken to hospital but thankfully is now OK. Contributing factors were cold continuous heavy rain, very strong winds and flimsy 'windproof' body cover which doesn't keep the wet out, you can see some very wet runners on Al Tye's photos.
    From the video many runners had bare legs - whilst this was clearly OK for some - those going fast enough to stay warm and not be out that long - it would have put the slower runners at considerable risk. I am not surprised one ended up in hospital. I am repeatedly amazed at how little people wear at some events - for example Noonstone 2 years ago - but of course they are usually OK, and I suspect they would object if the RO insisted they actually wear some of what they are carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    From the video many runners had bare legs - whilst this was clearly OK for some - those going fast enough to stay warm and not be out that long - it would have put the slower runners at considerable risk. I am not surprised one ended up in hospital. I am repeatedly amazed at how little people wear at some events - for example Noonstone 2 years ago - but of course they are usually OK, and I suspect they would object if the RO insisted they actually wear some of what they are carrying.
    At a short race I wouldn't expect anyone hospitalised.. I thought this was down to 5.5 miles.. so you'd expect people to cope in those conditions.. it was bad sunday, but I considered shorts as they don't get as heavy as leggins.. I was out doing a guided trail run for 2.5 hrs above Capel and Betws, and was pretty miserable, but would have probably raced in shorts and a long sleeved T shirt.. but I'd have been in the top 10 and wouldn't have been out for too long..

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post

Yes the race was shortened! Otherwise they'd have had to have more marshalls out for longer. I recall doing the Brecon Beacons race in August(I think you did it that year Iain!) and at least one runner pulled out with hypothermia.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire

Also I used my new OMM bumbag that day and did the bungy's up tight.. so couldn't undo them with cold hands.. I now have no bungy on them just in case that ever happens..
    Had a simlar problem in January this year on a recce in the Shropshire hills. Gloves got soaked through and before I knew fingers were so cold and painful I could not undo the waist and chest strap on my rucksack. Frustatingly, even though I had some more dry insulation in my sack, I could not get to it! Only way out of this was to descend out of the wind and rain/snow/sleet and then sit with my hands between my legs until I got enough feeling back to undo the belt clip. Just goes to show that even when you think you are well prepared, conditions can easily get the better of you.

[QUOTE=Welsh Harrier;481763]

QUOTE]

Yes the race was shortened! Otherwise they'd have had to have more marshalls out for longer. I recall doing the Brecon Beacons race in August(I think you did it that year Iain!) and at least one runner pulled out with hypothermia.
    Aye I did that one... finished it too.. :-)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    I'll get something together later. Bit short of time this morning.

Prevention
    Signs
    Causes
    Treatment

Anything else? What do our fellrunning Docs think?
    Might good to have some anecdotes from runners...
    Just some points - I have no doubt IDP knows far more about this than I do:

It does not have to be particularly cold/wet for people to develop hypothermia, though of course if it is cold/wet it adds to the risk. Inappropriate clothing is almost always a factor. Wind chill is often under-estimated, as is the effect of slowing down, and just to complicate matters hypoglycemia is a common association. Once hypothermia sets in people may stop shivering, become confused/slow and may not complain of feeling cold. As has been said getting off the mountain and out of the wind are crucial, preferably both. The only heat that should be provided is other people, drinks, and a warm room; heaters/fires/baths/showers/hot water bottles are all no-nos. The risk is cold stale blood returning to the heart and causing dangerous heart rhythms, as well as warm core blood flooding the warmed up tissues, dropping the blood pressure. A near ideal situation in the field would be in a tent, in warm dry clothes, in a double sleeping bag with one person either side of them and a warm sweet drink.

I look forward to IDP's comments.

Mike T: yes!

I have been accused of being irresponsible for not calling MR or any other help when I dislocated my shoulder in the middel of the Black Mountains years ago. I was carrying an extra base layer, but was unable to put it on due to the shoulder. Was wearing shorts, l/s base layer and goertex waterproof over that. I reduced the shoulder myself, on the hill, as there was no phone siganl and more importantly: I HAD to get down!!! I was very rapidly getting hypothermic... so I had some shotblocks in lieu of sugary tea and got myself down as fast as I could, i.e. steright down the hill into the valley. I could not afford to wait for anything or anybody, as I would have gotten too cold, so kept moving and ran/walked the 13 miles home over two more ridges and warmed myself up at home. Went to a&e the next morning for an x-ray of the shoulder.

Had I not gotten myself off the hill but in stead tried to rally help and waited, I doubt I would have lasted long... In stead, I got away with it, as my DIY reduction was succesful and I managed to stay warm enough by moving...

Another vote for: get off that hill!
    Last edited by Hanneke; 01-05-2012 at 02:56 PM.
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

Master

Given that it is from 1992 I thought this was pretty useful: http://scotclimb.org.uk/safety/hypothermia.shtml

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hanneke View Post
    Mike T: yes!

I have been accused of being irresponsible for not calling MR or any other help when I dislocated my shoulder in the middel of the Black Mountains years ago. I was carrying an extra base layer, but was unable to put it on due to the shoulder. Was wearing shorts, l/s base layer and goertex waterproof over that. I reduced the shoulder myself, on the hill, as there was no phone siganl and more importantly: I HAD to get down!!! I was very rapidly getting hypothermic... so I had some shotblocks in lieu of sugary tea and got myself down as fast as I could, i.e. steright down the hill into the valley. I could not afford to wait for anything or anybody, as I would have gotten too cold, so kept moving and ran/walked the 13 miles home over two more ridges and warmed myself up at home. Went to a&e the next morning for an x-ray of the shoulder.

Had I not gotten myself off the hill but in stead tried to rally help and waited, I doubt I would have lasted long... In stead, I got away with it, as my DIY reduction was succesful and I managed to stay warm enough by moving...

Another vote for: get off that hill!
    Well done Hanneke - superb self-management! It could have been very different if it had been an ankle fracture - but it wasn't, and life is full of "what ifs".