Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Hypothermia

Re: Hypothermia

Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn View Post
    Great to have the article up on your website, Ian - some of the rescue team were enthusiastic about it having read it in the FRA mag, and we were looking at a way to circulate it to everyone. Problem solved!
    Only just spotted this
    Thanks Carolyn

I guess it's that time of year again. starting to get cold and snowy.

has anyone here suffered the symptoms while cycling?
    I do know I'm far more prone to bonking when cold, and am pretty sure I've been on the verge of hypothermia coming down the Tourmalet in some unpleasant conditions.
    But I guess because you are generally only at altitude for a short time on a bike it's not as much of an issue.
    Unless you live in northern Scotland perhaps.
    Last edited by ZootHornRollo; 15-10-2012 at 11:11 AM.

Just read the article on your website Ian, very interesting. I guess my post race flask will be hot chocolate now rather than the traditional coffee.

Incidentally, I was extremely lucky in the late 80's when on a walking expedition. Although I didn't realise it at the time, I was suffering and when we stopped for the night I was already displaying some of the classic symptoms. Had we not stopped then, I suspect it would not have been long before I was in serious trouble
    Frequent but moderate workouts on a consistent basis are the key to success

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    has anyone here suffered the symptoms while cycling?
    I do know I'm far more prone to bonking when cold, and am pretty sure I've been on the verge of hypothermia coming down the Tourmalet in some unpleasant conditions.
    But I guess because you are generally only at altitude for a short time on a bike it's not as much of an issue.
    Unless you live in northern Scotland perhaps.
    Funnily enough I was talking to a cyclist the other day who had read the article. He drew many comparisons with fell running and cycling. Light weight kit,Severe wind chill, high activity masking the decline in to Hypothermia.

IDP, your article may have saved my bacon today, thank you.

I attempted the Fred Whitton ad set off from Coniston at 5:45. At 6 the rain started but it was light and so I thought the wind/shower proof jersey would've sufficient. By the time i got to troutbeck it poured then briefly stopped so I left off the rain coat as I felt good. As I climbed it rained and blew very hard and I descended right into the teeth of it into pattedale. I didn't want to stop on that descent and didn't feel cold. The wind and rain scared me to death on that decent so I stopped and put the coat on and pushed on the Keswick. I stuffed some jelly babies down and a gel and climbed matterdale end feeling ok and pushed on to Keswick where i pulled into a cafe and got a coffee and bacon sarnie. I couldn't face the food so downed the coffee and sat by the heater.

Suddenly I started shivering like mad. I felt pissed off and decided to bin the ride. I had no dry clothes so bought a cheap fleece in the shop next door and put it on and replaced the wet top stuff. The shop assistant asked if I was ok and then it hit me. Wet, cold, coffee, heater, denial and anger. I looked in the mirror and almost passed out. I ate four gels and half a pack of JBs and thought id sorted it.

bike and I got the bus to Ambleside and I started nodding off on the bus. The old dear opposite asked if I was ok and commented that my legs were soaked. I hadn't bought cheap trousers or a towel. I fought to stay awake and sneakily put my feet on the seat and could not stop shivering but I knew i was in trouble.

I had to get another bus to Coniston, a smaller one upon which they won't allow a bike. I went into a solicitors office by the bus station and asked if they could stash my bike until I drove back from Coniston in my waiting car. They asked if I was ok! I ignored them and got the bus and almost passed out. I hung on to Coniston and got into the car. Stripped off, towelled down, heater on but not too hot, more gels and the headache started and the sickness. I was almost sick but fought it off.

I drove to Ambleside, got the bike and drove home tomwrexham with a splitting headache and tiredness. I sipped energy drink all the way and got REALLY angry whenever there was a queue.

Home now and had a doze on the sofa. Drank some diarolyte and ate some chocolate.

In Keswick, in that shop, I remembered the article. Not all of it, but enough. The word I remembered was INSIDIOUS and it was. I thank goodness that I'm fit and able to fight off dozing on that bus...

Most of the deaths in fell races have been as a result of hypothermia ie not injury. The 2014 Calendar/Handbook will have a section on hypothermia written by Ian and Alan Brentnall.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

A fine idea.

A point of interest to note, I was working outside in Patterdale yesterday and the ambient temperature was 11.5c, but in the downpour the thermometer dropped to 9.5c, not cold but certainly cool for June. Back in Keswick at 12.30 the air temperature rose 14c with no wind and a light drizzle. This really demonstrates how we can suffer in 'average' conditions. Well done with your survival instinct Mark, I think I passed you on Park Brow as you were climbing and I was driving down?
    A circular route mostly downhill

Attempted to run The Dales Way (in reverse - Bowness to Ilkley) last Saturday & Sunday with a mate. We weren't quite in your state Mark, but we were hanging on by the time we reached The Station Pub at Ribblehead, 45 miles in. We had torrential rain for the last 15 miles. We were both shivering by the time we had our showers. But, we made all the right choices too. We delayed our start to pop in to a walking shop & buy a couple of Merino base layers. We stopped at Dent for a sandwich & a drink instead of pressing on for the last 10 miles. We looked at Sundays forecast (not good) & decided to postpone our 2nd leg for a later date. My philosophy is, I would always rather be too warm than too cold on the fells. And as my mother always says "you can always take a layer off". Every situation is different though & it's so important to stop for a moment, weigh up your options & make the right decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Smith View Post
    IDP, your article may have saved my bacon today, thank you.

I attempted the Fred Whitton ad set off from Coniston at 5:45. At 6 the rain started but it was light and so I thought the wind/shower proof jersey would've sufficient. By the time i got to troutbeck it poured then briefly stopped so I left off the rain coat as I felt good. As I climbed it rained and blew very hard and I descended right into the teeth of it into pattedale. I didn't want to stop on that descent and didn't feel cold. The wind and rain scared me to death on that decent so I stopped and put the coat on and pushed on the Keswick. I stuffed some jelly babies down and a gel and climbed matterdale end feeling ok and pushed on to Keswick where i pulled into a cafe and got a coffee and bacon sarnie. I couldn't face the food so downed the coffee and sat by the heater.

Suddenly I started shivering like mad. I felt pissed off and decided to bin the ride. I had no dry clothes so bought a cheap fleece in the shop next door and put it on and replaced the wet top stuff. The shop assistant asked if I was ok and then it hit me. Wet, cold, coffee, heater, denial and anger. I looked in the mirror and almost passed out. I ate four gels and half a pack of JBs and thought id sorted it.

bike and I got the bus to Ambleside and I started nodding off on the bus. The old dear opposite asked if I was ok and commented that my legs were soaked. I hadn't bought cheap trousers or a towel. I fought to stay awake and sneakily put my feet on the seat and could not stop shivering but I knew i was in trouble.

I had to get another bus to Coniston, a smaller one upon which they won't allow a bike. I went into a solicitors office by the bus station and asked if they could stash my bike until I drove back from Coniston in my waiting car. They asked if I was ok! I ignored them and got the bus and almost passed out. I hung on to Coniston and got into the car. Stripped off, towelled down, heater on but not too hot, more gels and the headache started and the sickness. I was almost sick but fought it off.

I drove to Ambleside, got the bike and drove home tomwrexham with a splitting headache and tiredness. I sipped energy drink all the way and got REALLY angry whenever there was a queue.

Home now and had a doze on the sofa. Drank some diarolyte and ate some chocolate.

In Keswick, in that shop, I remembered the article. Not all of it, but enough. The word I remembered was INSIDIOUS and it was. I thank goodness that I'm fit and able to fight off dozing on that bus...

I think the real problem for me was that the conditions from a fellrunning pov were nothing to write home about do I delayed getting out the cag. But on a bike, your upper body isn't doing much, you're moving faster and everything happens more quickly. I've done some seriously cold stuff as a runner and climber but I'm new to cycling and was caught out yesterday.

Chris, you're right, it was fairly cool but nothing more. I was wearing black and on a black bike. Probably looking hacked off. Glad all panned out ok Jez..

interestingly, I slept for 11 hours last night solid. Wife and two year old up and about and I slept through it. Feel fine today