Page 1 of 43 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Welsh 1000s Race

Welsh 1000m Race

Hope to do this for the first time this year.

Does anyone have a tip about the best line up Nant Yr Ogof. Along the stream and straight up at the end, or along under the blunt ridge line on the right where there seems to be a vague trod?

I had a look up there the other day, but the bracken might make a change by June.

Re: Welsh 1000m Race

I've not done the race, but went up there one night with a guy who has done it a lot. We crossed to the right hand bank of the stream (as you go up) and basically headed up, trending right slightly, but picked up faint tracks, and then joined the ridge near the top, fairly much in a straight line, slightly veering rightwards. It was suprisingly runnable, although we'd only come around from Capel Curig.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    I've not done the race, but went up there one night with a guy who has done it a lot. We crossed to the right hand bank of the stream (as you go up) and basically headed up, trending right slightly, but picked up faint tracks, and then joined the ridge near the top, fairly much in a straight line, slightly veering rightwards. It was suprisingly runnable, although we'd only come around from Capel Curig.
    Thanks Iain, I thought it would come to something like that. Just wanted to make sure that I wasnt missing a good track up the right from the campsite.

From the race entry form:

"... the nearest toilets are at Clogwyn Station. Finishers must be aware of this and be able to evacuate themselves from the summit."

On a more serious note, at what point should you leave the path which the checkpoint is on and head for pen y pass? Also any tips on the descent from Carnedd Dafydd?

On a more serious note, at what point should you leave the path which the checkpoint is on and head for pen y pass? Also any tips on the descent from Carnedd Dafydd?
    As you descend the miners path which ends up at Pen-y-Gwryd you will come to a wall (cant miss it). Turn off to the right and you can pick up a series of faint trods which take you towards the lake (not bad going really). Cross the stream and then head up well to the left of the lake.
    As for the descent off Dafydd, retrace your steps till you can see down the broad ridge that takes you down to the lake. There is a good diagonal trod that will take you over to and down the ridge. You can take a more direct line but its a bit more bouldery. Initially keep to the left of the ridge, but as you pass a bouldery section on your right (after it levels out and before you get to the final drop), cut right and and down till you find a steep grassy bank that takes you to the end of the track (follow the fence).

Clear as mud. Maybe you have to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by gej View Post
    "... the nearest toilets are at Clogwyn Station. Finishers must be aware of this and be able to evacuate themselves from the summit."
    Boy, I need to do some serious training for that

Thanks CribGoch. I'm sure it will all be clear when I look at it on 25K map rather than the 50k I have here.

Sent off my entry today, so no backing out now. Wish I felt fitter!

Welsh 1000m race entry, where?

Where do I find the entry form for the 1000m race? Think I'm cutting it a bit tight with the closing date
    Why don't you look me in the eye when when you're talking to me?

Re: Welsh 1000m race entry, wh

www.gorphwysfaclub.org.uk . I have just received confirmation of my entry (which I posted last Wednesday). Hope you manage to get in.

I know that a lot of you will be chasing championship points at Duddon, but wondered if any other forum members will be doing the Welsh 1000m race.