Page 12 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Welsh 1000s Race

Re: Welsh 1000m peaks

Yes a massive thankyou to all the marshall's who stuck it out at the checkpoints, organiser, mountain rescue & rescue services - as Fleeter said yesterday, my faith in humanity has been restored.

Bethesda was a tad wet yet pleasent for a wet saturday afternoon and the Subway coffee was overpriced but roasted to perfection.....

Alphin's Welsh 1000's with a slight detour using as many modes of transport as you can fit in. The run into Bethesda from Foel Grach was superb, wild ponies down there, there was
    Consider yourself lightly; consider the world deeply.

I thought the weather was more 'unseasonable' ie wet and cold, than truly bad a la Dale Head on the OMM - only really windy between Llewellyn and Dafydd, and top of Snowdon. That said, I must admit I ditched bumbag before the start and packed a sac with extra clothes and wore helly, windproof and top which seemed to work OK. Results are on the site - 30 finishers in A class, not bad in the circumstances.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Alphin View Post
    Yes a massive thankyou to all the marshall's who stuck it out at the checkpoints, organiser, mountain rescue & rescue services - as Fleeter said yesterday, my faith in humanity has been restored.

Bethesda was a tad wet yet pleasent for a wet saturday afternoon and the Subway coffee was overpriced but roasted to perfection.....

Alphin's Welsh 1000's with a slight detour using as many modes of transport as you can fit in. The run into Bethesda from Foel Grach was superb, wild ponies down there, there was
    Best race report ive ever seen pal. I cant believe i was the only one that finished out of the three and missed both Petes Eats and Coffee. Where is the justice
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTom View Post
    Best race report ive ever seen pal. I cant believe i was the only one that finished out of the three and missed both Petes Eats and Coffee. Where is the justice
    I took one look at the glyders and thought.......nah

Quote Originally Posted by longstreet View Post
    Another national press report on fell runners being caught up on the mountains and having to be ' found or rescued ' . Whatever the truth of the full story the FRA and race organisers need to get together soon to discuss this. This follows the Karrimor incident last year. It may be alright for fell running fanatics to think they can come on this forum and say ' what was the fuss about ' but they have to realise that already stretched rescue services are involved here and the implications of having more of these races going wrong may have a long term consequence for fell running in general.
    Although technically the FRA has no involvement in either event.

Another national press report on fell runners being caught up on the mountains and having to be ' found or rescued ' . Whatever the truth of the full story the FRA and race organisers need to get together soon to discuss this. This follows the Karrimor incident last year. It may be alright for fell running fanatics to think they can come on this forum and say ' what was the fuss about ' but they have to realise that already stretched rescue services are involved here and the implications of having more of these races going wrong may have a long term consequence for fell running in general.

I'm not sure how many of the rescued were fell runners - there were alot of other categories - mountaineers/walkers and army cadets - unfortunately the media just assume they were all fell runners.

I borrowed an extra long sleve helly hansen from a mate at the start cause I figured it was going to be bad up there. I wouldn't have started without it. CD set off in full body kit and ran in it the whole way (even the marshals on Snowdon didnt realise he was a Cat A runner, he was so kitted out) - for those well prepared the conditions were challenging but it was doable. At the end of the day the runners have to take responsibility for themselves.

I'm glad the race was held - It was a great experience and keeps you mindfull of being safe on the hill and making sure you carry the right kit in being exposed to these conditions. If things are looking bad then you have to know when the race is over for you and your priority is dropping down to shelter and visability - there were plently of options for bail outs during the race.

great news that everyone was OK
    Last edited by skippy; 07-06-2009 at 12:38 PM.

I have been running the fells for decades and a walker / backpacker before that I know how to look after my self and get off tops safely when it turns nasty. I aint a fanatic just a fell runner and mountain lover. if you start stopping races when weather turns on the bad side where does it stop ?
    I bet all got round the Ennerdale ok
    I might be Tup , But not too Tup to know that I am Tup:w00t:

I think in alot of ways it takes more guts to pull out of a race than continue on.

often when we take walking groups on charity challenges such as the 3000ers in 24 hrs, they need to be told when they should cancel - they desperately don't want to fail but, as they stand there shivering from top to toe with the prospect of another 8-10 hours yet to go in driving rain, you need to let them know it's better to have the guts to get yourself to safety rather than blindly push on and have to rely on mountain rescue.

Quote Originally Posted by skippy View Post
    I think in alot of ways it takes more guts to pull out of a race than continue on.

often when we take walking groups on charity challenges such as the 3000ers in 24 hrs, they need to be told when they should cancel - they desperately don't want to fail but, as they stand there shivering from top to toe with the prospect of another 8-10 hours yet to go in driving rain, you need to let them know it's better to have the guts to get yourself to safety rather than blindly push on and have to rely on mountain rescue.
    I totally agree,it seems that some people made the wrong decision,but i'm sure they have a learn't a lesson now

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Fleeter View Post
    I totally agree,it seems that some people made the wrong decision,but i'm sure they have a learn't a lesson now
    Well said Andy and Sarah. I wouldnt have started the long course
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before