Page 13 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Welsh 1000s Race

Welsh 1000m peaks - Pictures

There are some pictures of the race taken by my son on my site....

www.fellrunningpictures.co.uk

Alastair

Re: Welsh 1000m peaks

Quote Originally Posted by skippy View Post
    I think in alot of ways it takes more guts to pull out of a race than continue on.

often when we take walking groups on charity challenges such as the 3000ers in 24 hrs, they need to be told when they should cancel - they desperately don't want to fail but, as they stand there shivering from top to toe with the prospect of another 8-10 hours yet to go in driving rain, you need to let them know it's better to have the guts to get yourself to safety rather than blindly push on and have to rely on mountain rescue.
    An outstanding run by you there Sarah, well done.
    Consider yourself lightly; consider the world deeply.

FellMonster

Quote Originally Posted by longstreet View Post
    Another national press report on fell runners being caught up on the mountains and having to be ' found or rescued ' . Whatever the truth of the full story the FRA and race organisers need to get together soon to discuss this. This follows the Karrimor incident last year. It may be alright for fell running fanatics to think they can come on this forum and say ' what was the fuss about ' but they have to realise that already stretched rescue services are involved here and the implications of having more of these races going wrong may have a long term consequence for fell running in general.

Speaking from experience at having been "rescued" myself.....in my opinion (and it is only my opinion) the people who provide these services actually enjoy being called out and doing what they do......when things turn out ok you understand me......I'm not suggesting for a second that people deliberately get themselves into compromising situations.......but I do feel that there sometimes is an over-reaction.....and besides, it makes us look harder than we actually are and also impresses the girls.....

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTom View Post
    Williams.
    did you have a relative called Bernard Williams who lived in High Bentham

Master

I do. He is still alive though old
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

Quote Originally Posted by simongwyn View Post
    Results are on the site - 30 finishers in A class, not bad in the circumstances.
    I've checked the website a few times today and just get an error message when I click on the results link. Has anyone else had any luck?

Quote Originally Posted by pen-y-jen View Post
    I've checked the website a few times today and just get an error message when I click on the results link. Has anyone else had any luck?

Try the "Link to Snowdon Summit for Live on-lin finishers" link rather than the results page....

Then the "course A" results
    Last edited by stumpy; 07-06-2009 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTom View Post
    I do. He is still alive though old
    oops you are right, then you are probably distantly related to my missus. oh no this is the end

Unhappy Re: Welsh 1000M Peaks Race

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    Advice and info please!

I'm wanting to do this race this year, but unfortunately can't get a weekend away in time to recce the route. I know bits of it, but not enough to link it together, so how is route finding on this race?

Also, how tough a race is it? My longest fell race to date is Borrowdale. I know there's a bit of extra distance and ascent, but how does it compare?

Any other tips gratefully received!

thanks
    Stumps...
    Dear Stumpy

I have raced and marshalled the 1000m on numerous occasions and as you are well aware the weather has a huge part to play.

This is especially so in the 1000s because the first long section is over the Carneddau via Foel Grach ( if you can find it) Llewellyn, Carnedd Daffyd and the Fynnon Llygwy Reservoir road.

Talking to James McQueen a fellow Eryri Harrier like myself and a very experienced and strong runner, he knows the Carneddau extreamly well but even he got horribly lost near Foel Grach in last years ugly weather.

If you can successfully navigate to the A5 near Helyg Mountain hut then whatever the weather you can complete the race from there as the route is not too hard to find.

It's the Carneddau that can make or break your success in the race.

I live in nearby Llandudno and rarely venture into the Carneddau when the pea soup is down as navigation is EXTREAMLY HARD with not a single landmark to take a bearing from.

If you think the 1000s is a good challenge have a go at the Peris Horseshoe in September which starts in Llanberis in the same spot as the International Snowdon Race but is a much tougher challenge than the 1000s even though it's nearly 4miles shorter.

Anyway good luck with the 1000s and hope the 5th June is dry and cloud free.

All the best
    Peter

Re: Welsh 1000M Peaks Race

Good advice Peter.
    Clive, Hebden Bridge