Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Welsh 1000s Race

Welsh 1000mtrs

Anyone doing this one on Saturday?

Re: Welsh 1000mtrs

Yeah, was out today checking out the descent from Carneddau. It's a long one, plus the run off at the end makes it a good 25 mile run in total. A hot day like Saturday and it could be 'interesting'.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    ...checking out the descent from Carneddau.
    Not having done this event before, I was wondering if someone could answer a couple of route questions?

I did the Carneddau last year and managed to get from CD to DL in the clag, so I guess it's the same but in reverse. I read somewhere that you then backtrack and turn down the ridge that heads towards the reservoir. Do you then go between Craig Llugwy and Creigiau Hirion and then down to the wall, keeping away from the cliffs?

Also, from the start, I guess it goes up a main path to the Aber Falls but from there I'm a bit lost, there seem to be no paths to speak of on the map, so what is the general direction? Is it up between Bera Mawr/Bera Bach picking up the paths that south of Bera Bach/Garnedd Uchaf and then on the Foel Grach and CL?

Quote Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
    Not having done this event before, I was wondering if someone could answer a couple of route questions?

I did the Carneddau last year and managed to get from CD to DL in the clag, so I guess it's the same but in reverse. I read somewhere that you then backtrack and turn down the ridge that heads towards the reservoir. Do you then go between Craig Llugwy and Creigiau Hirion and then down to the wall, keeping away from the cliffs?

Also, from the start, I guess it goes up a main path to the Aber Falls but from there I'm a bit lost, there seem to be no paths to speak of on the map, so what is the general direction? Is it up between Bera Mawr/Bera Bach picking up the paths that south of Bera Bach/Garnedd Uchaf and then on the Foel Grach and CL?
    Yeah sort of. traverse the ridge as normal, when you see the remnants of a wall start descending and traversing the hill side until you join the ridge proper, then go to the LHS ofthe ridge until the nose, then swing out to the RHS to avoid the crags. The route has unfortunately been cairned from the main ridge until quite low down. I do think this is a pity.

The start follow paths until in the valley above the falls, at the sheepfold climb the hillside and head between the Beras (hardest part of the race IMO) and sidle Yr Aryg and Garnedd Uchaf until you join the main path, this is a good path marked by finger stones. Then the options are follow path over FG or traverse over the shoulder, IMO the latter is faster but probably not worth the risk in thick clag.

Thanks very much

Supposedly there is now an extra checkpoint on the descent from CD. I hope this isn't the case as it means all recced lines are now wrong, supposedly this was sent out in the bumf we were sent, but as usual I didn't bother reading it.

Anyone else heard about this 'extra checkpoint'?

I'm very dubious if this is the case, but after last years fatality I thought they may do something to ensure runners cannot go near crags.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Yeah sort of. traverse the ridge as normal, when you see the remnants of a wall start descending and traversing the hill side until you join the ridge proper, then go to the LHS ofthe ridge until the nose, then swing out to the RHS to avoid the crags. The route has unfortunately been cairned from the main ridge until quite low down. I do think this is a pity.
    ignore all this, there is a new CP which means this is now wrong. A pity. The route now heads down the hillside and is quite rough underfoot.

Is it this?

3. Control D Summit of Carnedd Dafydd (663630) 1044m a.s.l. Then keep well south to avoid cliff face at 689626 and make your way to GR 694624.
    4 Control F On track near Ffynnon Llugwy (694624). Control cards must be punched at this unmanned control.

So is it something like this?
    Last edited by jimbob; 02-06-2008 at 04:36 PM.

That was the line I used to take roughly, but now there is a new checkpoint on the wall below Creigiau Hirion, here:

"After Control D the route takes an easterly line and a new pass-through control (FS) will be positioned at GR 684 624. From here follow the wall on the north side (south side is out of bounds) to checkpoint F at GR 694 624; this is unmanned, but you must dib your dibber."

I find that this line goes through quite rough terrain compared to the fast running trod slightly higher up.

Thanks for the info Iain, the instructions have turned up in the post today, it was a last minute entry ( I was going to the UCI MTB World Champs at Fort William / climb the Beinn etc but there has been a change of plans).