Page 31 of 43 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: Welsh 1000s Race

Re: Welsh 1000s Race

re numbers
    there were 171 on the A class entry list
    there'd've been a few no-shows anyway, so say 155 expected to start
    a few more will've changed their minds late on due to the way the weather looked (irrespective of what route was run)
    then a few took the offer of doing the short race instead, rather than the altered long race
    and there may've been a couple who decided to sack the whole thing off and do their own thing
    but standing on the start-line I reckon there were still 100-120 ish starters
    (of course a few of those may've been doing it "under protest")

I actually quite liked the excitement of being handed a slip of paper with the new checkpoint grid refs, marking up maps and getting head round new route, all stood in the start field with 30mins til the off!
    Last edited by DazTheSlug; 10-06-2012 at 05:20 PM.
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Quote Originally Posted by fyurtez View Post
    Rich Roberts won in 3:28:53, he pipped me by about 20 seconds- just couldnt quite hang on to him at the end!!
    Good run Fyurtez - shame you couldn't of pipped him at the end, that Paddy doesn't seem to have affected you in any negative way!

Does anybody know if the results are on-line anywhere yet?

Quote Originally Posted by DazTheSlug View Post
    I actually quite liked the excitement of being handed a slip of paper with the new checkpoint grid refs, marking up maps and getting head round new route, all stood in the start field with 30mins til the off!
    True actually, felt like a bit of an orienteering problem! On that note, did anyone find themselves without a map for the first section of the race? My paper printout didn't cover it at all and so I had to borrow my Dad's map and he took my paper one (him and my Mum were walking up Snowdon to meet me at the finish). I normally chuck in a full map just in case but completely forgot yesterday. Was a bit of a pain trying to navigate of a bulky laminated OS map though...

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Harrison View Post
    True actually, felt like a bit of an orienteering problem! On that note, did anyone find themselves without a map for the first section of the race? My paper printout didn't cover it at all and so I had to borrow my Dad's map and he took my paper one (him and my Mum were walking up Snowdon to meet me at the finish). I normally chuck in a full map just in case but completely forgot yesterday. Was a bit of a pain trying to navigate of a bulky laminated OS map though...
    Wasn't on my map either but as it happened I had a Harveys in my backpack so reverted to that. Didn't need it, though. I ran the whole race without having one navigational thought enter my head. Even where I might have had one - coming off from the Miners track toward pen y pass I was told by a marshall - "just follow the wall down to the pub" - so I did.
    I was disappointed that the race course was changed as I've never done it before and was looking forward to it and, because I'm doing Mont Blanc in 3 weeks wanted the ascent and distance, but, all in all, it was, although very, very wet, a good training day out with a 10 mile trail race preceding a 10 mile fell race (and a 5 mile jog back to my hotel) and I still clocked 6 feet short of 6,000 feet of ascent so, worth getting out of bed for.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Assume you withdrew from the race and ran the full 1000's route then?
    The time that you leave work has nothing to do with the organisers, nor does the distance you are travelling to get there. Its about safety and is their decision to make based solely on that, it sounds like they left it as late as possible in the hope of the forecast/weather improving.
    Why not offer to organise it yourself next year?
    Actually Chris I did not withdraw from the race - After registering at Aber I did tell them that I would do the short race starting at Ogwen as running 8 miles on roads was pointless in my eyes, its a fell race not a road race, it was an offer they were making and as far as I was concerned it was the better option for me - unfortunately when they said they would bus anyone there that wanted to do this, they forgot to tell the bus driver who left before all could make that decision. What I should have done in hind sight is hand my dibber back in and just run the course as a training run, I believe that at least 1 other did this and for me it would have been more of an accomplishment. The fact that I disagree with the ROs decision does not mean that I dont respect it and understand why they made the call - just in my opinion it was the wrong decision. Having chatted to several people that did the run as much as people enjoyed the run the general opinion of the few that I chatted to was that it should have been the full race or nothing as they also did not believe that the weather was an issue but there are many people who will have many differing opinions and that is the way life is. Hey never mind though, I will certainly consider my options more closely next year. Offer to organise the race myself, you say - if I had the time I would be more than happy to assist in organising races - unfortunately it is not practical due to my work commitments, certainly at the moment anyway. For me and the short time that I have been into fell running one of the attractions is the minimalist amount of rules of the sport and that I can only see that very extreme weather conditions should alter a course or result in the event being cancelled, people know the routes & weahter at the time so the emphasis is on them to dress appropriately and the simple rules adequately cover equipment to be carried, plus any extra that the RO may wish to impose on the entrants - I have seen that there have been several races this year that have had their routes altered due to poor weather and having read several discussions on here it makes me think that there is an element of 'risk adverseness' creeping in. But what do I know eh?
    Last edited by sore legs; 10-06-2012 at 10:07 PM. Reason: correction to a point
    Paul C.

... continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.

Provisional results are up: http://www.welsh1000m.org/Results%202012.pdf

30th for me, happy with that!

Blimey - cracking race between the front 2 - congratulations to everyone.
    Paul C.

... continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.

Quote Originally Posted by sore legs View Post
    I have seen that there have been several races this year that have had their routes altered due to poor weather and having read several discussions on here it makes me think that there is an element of 'risk adverseness' creeping in. But what do I know eh?
    You make a good point. I'm definitely worried that more and more races will tend towards "best alter the route just in case". In the (relatively) short time I've been fell running, two races (this and the Peris HS last year) have been altered on days that I didn't think it necessary to. As you say, one of the main attractions of fell running is the simplicity and self-reliance of it all, and part of that is people being aware of the weather and bringing the right kit for those weather conditions - for example for yesterday, shove an extra layer and a thicker pair of gloves in your bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Harrison View Post
    You make a good point. I'm definitely worried that more and more races will tend towards "best alter the route just in case". In the (relatively) short time I've been fell running, two races (this and the Peris HS last year) have been altered on days that I didn't think it necessary to. As you say, one of the main attractions of fell running is the simplicity and self-reliance of it all, and part of that is people being aware of the weather and bringing the right kit for those weather conditions - for example for yesterday, shove an extra layer and a thicker pair of gloves in your bag.
    I agree Sam - Good result mate as well !! - I kept my eyes peeled for you and others from on here but could not see anyone - I think the river crossings were the best bit for me, up to mid thigh and having to lean up stream to the extent that my chest was in the water - I could honestly say it did not make me feel cold though (cos I already was) and I was the cleanest I have ever ended a race !!
    Paul C.