Page 32 of 43 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Welsh 1000s Race

Re: Welsh 1000s Race

Quote Originally Posted by sore legs View Post
    I agree Sam - Good result mate as well !! - I kept my eyes peeled for you and others from on here but could not see anyone - I think the river crossings were the best bit for me, up to mid thigh and having to lean up stream to the extent that my chest was in the water - I could honestly say it did not make me feel cold though (cos I already was) and I was the cleanest I have ever ended a race !!
    Cheers Paul. My shoes needed a good clean so all the water was pretty handy! I tried looking out for other forumites but didn't spot anyone either. Oh, and I ended up as number 31 as the number 32 dibber had mysteriously disappeared somewhere!

This situation is nothing new. First time I did the race...1988 I think...exactly the same thing happened but we were only told about it as we assembled at aber. About 30 of us decided against the low level route, pulled out of the race and ran the course. Nearly got blown clean off the carneddau and arrived at pen y pass to find snowdon completely closed. Just as well, the wind was gusting up to 100 mph. In june! Crazy country!!!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by sore legs View Post
    I think the river crossings were the best bit for me, up to mid thigh and having to lean up stream to the extent that my chest was in the water - I could honestly say it did not make me feel cold though (cos I already was) and I was the cleanest I have ever ended a race !!
    Bloody hell! Where did you cross? I only got my feet wet!

Does anyone know the mileage of the revised route they went with on Saturday at all? I didn't bother with my Garmin so would be interested to know how the distance compared with the usual route.

Shame the route was changed but I still enjoyed the race immensely, and I can see why the organisers came to that decision. The marshals in particular deserve a big thank you, must have been a grim old day for them.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ1979 View Post
    Does anyone know the mileage of the revised route they went with on Saturday at all? I didn't bother with my Garmin so would be interested to know how the distance compared with the usual route.

Shame the route was changed but I still enjoyed the race immensely, and I can see why the organisers came to that decision. The marshals in particular deserve a big thank you, must have been a grim old day for them.
    It came out as 20 miles with 7000ft ascent on Memory Map.. not convinced on the ascent though, did we really do that much?!

From the map, distance: 19.5 miles, ascent: 6,600ft. Yiannis

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Harrison View Post
    It came out as 20 miles with 7000ft ascent on Memory Map.. not convinced on the ascent though, did we really do that much?!
    Quote Originally Posted by ydt View Post
    From the map, distance: 19.5 miles, ascent: 6,600ft. Yiannis
    That's great, thanks to you both. The amount of ascent is surprising, really didn't feel like that much at all in comparison to the normal route.

Believe it or not, distance the same but ascent around 9,500ft for full route. Yiannis

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    Bloody hell! Where did you cross? I only got my feet wet!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/187152706

I was top of thigh deep in the Bochlwyd outflow too! Even deeper having to pass some of the walkers fannying around!
    The weather on top of Snowdon justified the changes in my book, you have to remember the death in 2007 will still be in the RO's minds!

Someone did a Paddy at the same time, and he was from Singapore.. so conditions up high can't have been too difficult to maintain heat in.. its the carneddau which is the worst bit.. Snowdon is an up and into the cafe situation with little exposure.. the Gribin is a motorway.. there's some nav but most know that from the Peris to PyP, but on the Carneddau you're exposed for a good 2 hrs.. but Pete was out for 27 hrs and maintained heat no problem..

I think the 07 death is a massive factor, understandably, but that death had nothing to do with conditions, also they were very lucky to avoid deaths in 09?

I was in the 07 race and Harvey was in a mess afterwards so I can't imagine he's forgotton at all.