Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 LastLast

Thread: Welsh 1000s Race

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Tough luck Travs. As a good alternative you could have a crack at the Welsh 3000's. See if you can get under 10 hours!
    Funny you should mention that...! Great minds think alike!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Tough luck Travs. As a good alternative you could have a crack at the Welsh 3000's. See if you can get under 10 hours!
    Traditionally known as the 14 peaks. Great and scary memories!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Well it's that time again. Special occasion this year, being the 50th anniversary, and has deservedly got a large field with some top quality names. And a very promising weather forecast to go with it...

It is a staggered start, with people grouped into half hour blocks based on predicted time, slowest going first. Then in your block it's two go off every 30secs.

I've gone for the 10am start, which is for 5hrs-6hr30, which is exactly the correct block for me (i'm hoping to be somewhere around 5:30-5:45).... but it's rather alarming the quality of the other runners who are also in this block... Lloyd Taggart, Jack Agnew, Mel Price, to name just a few... perhaps they underestimated their times... could find myself quite lonely until i start to catch the earlier runners.

Not seen any forum names on the start list, but plenty of familiar names otherwise.
    Last edited by Travs; 15-07-2021 at 08:53 AM.

Have a good one Travs. I'd rather be there than dashing/slogging over Aldermans but I decided to go for the full set in the champs this year.
    I'm sure I've seen Lloyd and maybe a couple of others on the entry lists for both. Hopefully he'll take the sensible option and go to North Wales, which will also bump me up the field another place.

I am not fit enough for the full Long this year, but will be doing the Short
    seeing as it's going to be roasting hot weather (which I hate) I probably would've dropped down to the Short anyway as wouldn't've fancied my chances wrt heat-exhaustion on the Long!
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Well that was quite an experience... i'm struggling to think of an individual race that i found harder... perhaps the first time i did Buttermere, and Wasdale 2016 in awful weather, but given my increased fitness level now compared to those days, it's clear that yesterday puts up a good argument for being my hardest race ever.

It was pretty clear by the time i got to Aber Falls that racing hard was completely out of the question... the first steep section up onto Yr Arag left me with no energy, and i took things very steadily all the way round the Carneddau and down to the A5.

Whilst not necessarily feeling any better, i started to reel people back in along the road and all the way up to Glyder Fawr, passing people i hadn't seen since that first climb a few hours previously.

On reaching Glyder Fawr i realised that a competent descent down to Pen Y Pass and avoiding blowing up completely on the way up Snowdon, a pb and under 6hrs was still in reach. There were people in some awful states on the Pyg Track... one guy throwing up very violently and unable to speak, many people sitting or trying to lie down in the shade of rocks... one lady crying...

I suppose i got off lightly, with only one major bout of cramp at Bwlch Y Moch which required a couple of minutes sat down. Then threw everything at it and despite deteriorating rapidly, sneaked under 6hrs with a 5:58 and a new pb.

Could do no more on a day like yesterday. A lot better runners than me had a worse time of it or didn't manage to finish. A look at the results and i was in about 60th at the A5 but finished 34th, so the cautious start obviously worked. And encouraging that i think there's a lot of time to come off that on a cooler day.

Goes without saying that it was incredibly hot throughout, but dropping into the Ogwen and Pen Y Pass valleys, it was like descending into a sauna.

I hope the short went ok for you Daz...?

Pete
    Last edited by Travs; 18-07-2021 at 02:18 PM.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Well that was quite an experience... i'm struggling to think of an individual race that i found harder... perhaps the first time i did Buttermere, and Wasdale 2016 in awful weather, but given my increased fitness level now compared to those days, it's clear that yesterday puts up a good argument for being my hardest race ever.

It was pretty clear by the time i got to Aber Falls that racing hard was completely out of the question... the first steep section up onto Yr Arag left me with no energy, and i took things very steadily all the way round the Carneddau and down to the A5.

Whilst not necessarily feeling any better, i started to reel people back in along the road and all the way up to Glyder Fawr, passing people i hadn't seen since that first climb a few hours previously.

On reaching Glyder Fawr i realised that a competent descent down to Pen Y Pass and avoiding blowing up completely on the way up Snowdon, a pb and under 6hrs was still in reach. There were people in some awful states on the Pyg Track... one guy throwing up very violently and unable to speak, many people sitting or trying to lie down in the shade of rocks... one lady crying...

I suppose i got off lightly, with only one major bout of cramp at Bwlch Y Moch which required a couple of minutes sat down. Then threw everything at it and despite deteriorating rapidly, sneaked under 6hrs with a 5:58 and a new pb.

Could do no more on a day like yesterday. A lot better runners than me had a worse time of it or didn't manage to finish. A look at the results and i was in about 60th at the A5 but finished 34th, so the cautious start obviously worked. And encouraging that i think there's a lot of time to come off that on a cooler day.

Goes without saying that it was incredibly hot throughout, but dropping into the Ogwen and Pen Y Pass valleys, it was like descending into a sauna.

I hope the short went ok for you Daz...?

Pete
    Well done - looking at the numbers, that is a tough event at the best of times, but on such a hot day ....

it was too bloody hot for me
    I took it very steadily right from the off, but the last third of the climb up the Miners was a freaking nightmare - I had to keep stopping every few minutes or risk passing out
    once I got up to the bwlch there was a bit of breeze and I perked up a bit (relatively speaking!) and finished/got down OK
    I notice from the results that there were a lot of DNF's on the Long
    and although none on the Short, in 2019 there were only 5 out of 26 that finished in over 3 hours,
    whereas this year there were only 8 of 24 that finished UNDER 3 hours (!!)
    (I was over 4 hours btw)
    it's still one of my fave races though

oh and how could I forget to mention highlight of the day being Joss Naylor addressing the starters at Ogwen and leading us up to the start area
    Last edited by DazTheSlug; 18-07-2021 at 11:13 PM.
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Well done Daz... i quite fancy a shot at the short race next year... only the one descent, which i know relatively well, and two massive climbs, should suit a "climber" like me. And the chance to attack both climbs without the potential of cramp at every step.

Will see... still got unfinished business on the long as well...

Saturday was the hardest days racing I've ever done.

I've never shed so much fluid ever - arms were crunchy from salt and started cramping on the descent to PyP. By the start of the Pyg track I was cramping in muscles I didn't know I had.

Somehow felt a bit better on the final pull to the finger post, made decent push up Ugain and then fell on the descent, both legs went into spasm and I had 2 Joe Publics stretching my calves out like an extra-time FA Cup final from the 80s for a couple of minutes, me bleeding in a crumpled mess on the floor, before finishing off up Snowdon. Time was a bit rubbish, but knew it was a day of survival pretty much from Ogwen road.

Our lift was meeting us at PyP, so we passed a lot of the field on our way down and there were some real casualties, and I almost passed out myself at PyP. I was half a stone lighter when I got in, despite drinking 2 litres in the car home. Still not right now. A genuinely brilliantly horrific race!