Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Newbie-Dare I have a go??

Re: Newbie-Dare I have a go??

Go for it.
    You'll find yourself locked in a battle to claim 323rd place with a crowd of people with very similiar abilities to your own, it's very exciting!
    When you're in, you can turn around an applaud all those coming into the tunnel behind you, there will be several more mad sprints for the line as everyone tries to out do each other. The atmosphere and cameraderie is great.

I'd say go for it as well. I think it's fair to say the people at the back get a lot of admiration, certainly from me. I imagine it can be lonely out there sometimes. Hats off to them!

All the best.
    Josh Hubbard - Ambleside AC

Quote Originally Posted by Joester View Post
    Go for it.
    You'll find yourself locked in a battle to claim 323rd place with a crowd of people with very similiar abilities to your own, it's very exciting!
    When you're in, you can turn around an applaud all those coming into the tunnel behind you, there will be several more mad sprints for the line as everyone tries to out do each other. The atmosphere and cameraderie is great.
    I was last in one race and the organiser had decided that the last person probably had the hardest race of all and would be given a prize - and a jolly nice bottle of vino it was too!

Go for it Mike, its a great feeling when you finish.
    Ali H - Glossopdale Harriers

Quote Originally Posted by wormstone View Post
    I was last in one race and the organiser had decided that the last person probably had the hardest race of all and would be given a prize - and a jolly nice bottle of vino it was too!
    I always think that the last person to finish has often worked as hard as the winners. :thumbup:As said there is camaraderie in fell running that is not as strong in road running. To run in a fell race you are a winner just by getting to the start. :wink:

ATB

Tahr

I'm not so comfortable with the amount of competition that's building for last place here. It's really my place but Amex does keep trying to steal it from me ;-)
    Plodding Bear you have no chance - it's my place in our club results - hands off!!

BTW If you're over the hill at 44 The Husband must be nearly ready for the retirement home .... I'll go book him in

I tried so hard for last place at the Burbage Skyline but there were others (not many) that wanted it more. I'm sure as we hit Higger Tor they were catching me up and hid behind a boulder till I got a good gap on them. I also found to my utter dismay that my new fell shoes meant I was not like bambi on ice and actually managed to overtake 2 people on the downhill :-(. I getting worried now as reading this thread I now see I have more competition than the sweeper :-/
    So a message to all newbies .... Go for it, have fun, run really fast xx

No-I was meaning the Yorkshire Dales bit of Yorkshire I'm just on the edge of it-live outside Richmond. Think there's one at Levisham next wed eve that I'll have a go at!

Quote Originally Posted by mike1967 View Post
    No-I was meaning the Yorkshire Dales bit of Yorkshire I'm just on the edge of it-live outside Richmond. Think there's one at Levisham next wed eve that I'll have a go at!
    There don't seem to be many fell races in the lower Wendsleydale end of the Dales - there are some excellent LDWA events mind, the Wendsleydale Wedge, which is later in the year, and the Wendsleydale Wander, which has just gone I think. I'm not sure about Swaledale to be honest as I never seem to venture that way. Most of the Dales based races are in the south and south west corners - the Pen y Ghent fell race from Horton, Ingleborough from Ingleton, Whernside from Dent, Great Whernside from Kettlewell, Settle Hills from Settle, Buckden Pike, the Wharefedale Off Road marathon etc etc as well as a whole lorry load of short and sharp BOFRA races. Many of the races are linked to local galas and shows so tend to be in the summer months.

That said who needs races to run in the hills. Get yourself to Hawes and just run up and down Great Shunner Fell

Mike 1967, join a club, you'll soon find other races and clubmates going, car sharing and all that. Running on your own is fine - even better with a dog - but I think if you're going to do some races, it's always nice if you know a few bods on the start line.
    I'm intending to do a good few more later this year and next year, get a bit fitter, maybe even do all the club fell championship ones. I won't need to navigate either, I have a cunning plan.
    (I'm going to follow that there Livi round!)

Quote Originally Posted by plodding bear View Post
    (I'm going to follow that there Livi round!)
    Excellent -we can do tandem Italy flags in the wrong direction!!!