Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fell running and aftershave

Fell running and aftershave

Running down Wolf Fell last night I passed a gent running up (at quite a lick I might add). It was raining, windy and cold and as I passed him I got a very strong whiff of aftershave. Strange thing to do I thought, maybe he had a secret rendezvous at 1707 and wanted to smell nice.

Re: Fell running and aftershav

Maybe he came straight from work?

I always find it surprising when I'm stood at the start of a fell race and there is a beautifully made up woman smelling strongly of perfume amongst the general waft of deep heat and stinky hellys. I always feel a mixture of slight admiration (for always making an effort to look your best even when faced with rain and endless bog) and asphyxia...I would aspire to such things if I thought the make up would a) not end up sliding down my face panda fashion b) not elicit sarcy comments from those that know me well as someone who only makes those kind of efforts when I'm going somewhere posh/townified or have a date.:wink:

A subtle whiff of aftershave on the fells is an odd thing but I imagine it could be quite pleasant on the right fellrunning gentleman.:wink:

Quote Originally Posted by willycopter View Post
    Running down Wolf Fell last night I passed a gent running up (at quite a lick I might add). It was raining, windy and cold and as I passed him I got a very strong whiff of aftershave. Strange thing to do I thought, maybe he had a secret rendezvous at 1707 and wanted to smell nice.
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

my pre-race favourite
    Adam Speed
    P&B

how about; the morning - after - the night before- shave ?

The morning after my stag night I decided that it would be a good thing to clear the head a little if I ran along langdale a bit and up to Stickle Tarn.
    I pulled on some shorts and decided that the shirt from the night before would do for a top, being already a little "soiled", no point in creating more washing.
    On the climb up to the tarn some walkers were already heading down.
    they looked up cheery faces ready to greet the sprightly fellow running lithely up the stepped path at this early hour.
    I swear I was 10 metres away when their faces cracked from smiles to grimaces as they were overcome by the stench of stale beer, sweat and whatever else that was apparently forming a substantial "no-go zone" around my panting person.
    As I passed I just shrugged and said "sorry".

Once when I was running on the windswept moors north of Ilkley a chap of 60 or so came running the other way in a rather nice long-sleeve shirt, which looked better than most of the ones I wear to work. I'd like to think that he had a splash of cologne on too, and I aspire to attaining similar smoothness when I get older.

I haven't shaved for 5 months, what's aftershave?

I cant stand the hanging around at the start of a race where it is blatantly obvious by the stench that some people have not washed their running tops or shorts for ages. Nothing worse than the pong of several day old sweaty arm pits and the stench of sweaty bum-hole coming from shorts. All this working its way into your lungs that will soon be heaving and gasping for oxygen, only to be fed by more stinky air.

Never seen anyone made up with make up or smelling of aftershave though !!
    Paul C.

... continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.

Talking about aftershave, I've got a lovely bottle of scent just sitting there in the bathroom.

Problem is I have permanent stubble. When I was a young chap you were told that it closes the pores after a shave and stops you from getting, I dunno, a rash... so I'd feel a dick using it otherwise.

Also, I have a missus, so I don't really need to mesmerise birds with my alluring odour.

should I just bin it?
    To the Regiment - I Wish I Was There

Fellhound

Quote Originally Posted by willycopter View Post
    I saw the same gent as I approached 1707 and he whizzed past. Didn't notice any fellrunning babe waiting for him by the cairn, though it was misty... I didn't get a whiff of aftershave from him either but I did notice he was dressed in a t-shirt and shorts while I was wrapped up in long bottoms, pertex top, a cap and glove!!! He was obviously a hard man as well as smelling nice... :angry:

I'd like to know how long aftershave lasts in the bottle before it turns into rancid p**s, or whatever magickal alchemichal thing happens to it.
    Will my Hugo Boss still be wearable after a couple of years in my washbag, or should I bin it?
    And what about my Brut 33?