Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fast 5k in Aug/Sept

Fast 5k in Aug/Sept

Been away with illness for the past 3 months, my fitness is starting to come back, but I am resisting the temptation to start racing again immediately.

My miles are picking up nicely now, nearly ready for some speed work. In conjunction with this I am doing a structured stretching and core stability regime (all possible because I am not working at the moment). All in all I intend to return faster and stronger than before. My first target would be to beat my current 5K pb, so if anyone out there knows of a competitive, fast, flat 5k race in August/September time, please let me know.

i live in ilkley but either side of the pennines would suit.

cheers

GA
    Smile on the way up, scream on the way down!

Re: Fast 5k in Aug/Sept

theres supose to be some in headingley, hyde park area, a series of 3 or 4 5 k's round the park, never done them as on road, only know as work near them and a few club members did them last year and rated them, not sure of a link though, maybe abbey runners site
    Last edited by egor; 22-06-2007 at 06:09 PM.

Have a look at John Schofields UK Results site, you should be able to find something there, shame you are not ready in early July, there is a new race at St Annes near Blackpool, that is bound to be flat and fast

http://www.ukresults.net/2007cal.html#aug

sale sizzlers ive posted a thread on it on here pal at wythenshawe park easily accessable from motorway
    Track rules

Joan Rhodes Memorial 5k is usually about August time on the Radcliffe Trails (and causes contraversy because of the fast times it produces) Must get that measuring wheel out this summer!
    www.vlaevents.co.uk Fancy something different?

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Joan Rhodes Memorial 5k is usually about August time on the Radcliffe Trails (and causes contraversy because of the fast times it produces) Must get that measuring wheel out this summer!
    You'll definitely get a 5km PB on that course! It's about 200m short - I remember doing 10 miles in the morning and went along to watch. When I got there I decided to jog round and was only 15s outside my PB!

Apart from the Sale Sizzlers which are flat (though I am yet to run a fast time on there!) there is one near Ellesmere Port called the Capenhurst 5K (around August 22nd) which is supposed to be a really fast course.
    Hyde Park has a slight climb each lap - not sure about it being a PB course. Nice event though, details on Leeds City AC's website. What about the Doncaster Town Centre races? Never been there.
    Also there is the Alexandra Park 5Ks in Manchester first Sunday of each month. Good Luck... I'll probably be returning to racing at the same time!!
    Last edited by NotIntaFells; 23-06-2007 at 11:54 AM.
    You'll never Walk Alone!

Quote Originally Posted by Saints Lad View Post
    sale sizzlers ive posted a thread on it on here pal at wythenshawe park easily accessable from motorway
    I had wondered about doing one of these but i thought coming down the M61 then M60 at this time of night the traffic could be a pain in the arse. Anyone know how bad it might be?

Not sure to be honest, but would have thought that heading away from Manchester in an evening would be much worse than heading towards it. You might find joining the M56 at Junction 5 busy, but you're nearly there by then. Suggest you come off at Sale, go down Dane Road and Wythenshawe Road, then Sale Road and Orton Road to get near the track. Check out multimap.com for details! Good luck - may even see you there for one of the later ones!
    You'll never Walk Alone!

Have a look at the Millenium Bridge 5k on 7th August.
    The race is run in York more or less flat and has a good field and a very good atmosphere.
    I ran around my age 45 pb so it is reasonably fast.
    What time are you aiming for ?