Thread: Smoke on water

Post Smoke on water

Last year was my first dive into the fell running pool, ignorant to obstacles that could cause me to drown, the main one being smoking. After a year of "Why's my chest hurting?" and "How come I cough when I stop?"'s I've finally kicked the habit, but for 1 or 2 drunken lapses over the festive period, and I feel great for it; and then I wondered- Do any other fell runners on the forum smoke, and if so how the hell do you manage it?, it's taken slices out of my lungs over the last year. Just a thread of curiosity.....
    Last edited by Powdered Toast Man; 10-01-2007 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Shockingly disgraceful grammar!

Re: Smoke on water

Don't smoke, and never have. But often find I'm in fits of coughing when I stop too, especially in cold weather. Sorry....... a bit beside the point.....

Quote Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
    Last year was my first dive into the fell running pool, ignorant to obstacles that could cause me to drown, the main one being smoking. After a year of "Why's my chest hurting?" and "How come I cough when I stop?"'s I've finally kicked the habit, but for 1 or 2 drunken lapses over the festive period, and I feel great for it; and then I wondered- Do any other fell runners on the forum smoke, and if so how the hell do you manage it?, it's taken slices out of my lungs over the last year. Just a thread of curiosity.....
    having a few lapses won't do you any harm, all it does is slow you down and give you that craving back.. get back on the motivation lorry and kick the fags goodbye..

it's your grave.
    sorry to be blunt but i have lost a few people to this disease and i can't wait until it's banned from the pubs in the UK.

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    having a few lapses won't do you any harm, all it does is slow you down and give you that craving back.. get back on the motivation lorry and kick the fags goodbye..

it's your grave.
    sorry to be blunt but i have lost a few people to this disease and i can't wait until it's banned from the pubs in the UK.
    here here, pubs will be so much better

how do you keep cigs/lighter dry if the weather's bad on't tops?
    Event Photography
    www.athletesinaction.co.uk

i used to use the weeds, this is the 3rd time having given up, and the last! 2 years on, lost over 4 stone (people say everyone puts on weight on stopping smoking) but i decided to lose the lard as well! keep off the weeds, think how it will harm you running!
    ps I think smokers stink,stink,stink!

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar

I used to smoke, even when I started running competitively.

When giving up I found it really, really difficult not havng a smoke with a drink. Over the last few years I've practically given up drink cos I can't balance family, training hard & drinking. As a result I've not smoked for 3 or 4 years.......mind you, I'm a miserable bastard .
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

undercover moderator

I used to be a very committed smoker. Very thin and very frequent roll-ups.

When I'm too old and fat to run*, then I'm going to start smoking again. In pubs. Especially vegetarian ones.

(which may be as early as next Tuesday).