Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Peak District beginner

Smile Re: Peak District beginner

Quote Originally Posted by caity View Post
    Thanks for all this great info, I appreciate everyone's time to write it, nice to hear from you all. Sounds like joining a club would be a good option, how to decide though?! I might give a few of them a try if that's not considered wrong! I'm near Old Trafford. Glossop training appeals if I can get the train from town straight after work, I have a car but cycle to work, so by the time I'm home and picked up the car, and sat in traffic... I can hopefully make next Thursday (away on tues unfortunately, but the following week should be ok). Can a small bag be left in the leisure centre?

Will check out those route suggestions, good idea to look up race routes, and try out-and-backs. I was on Kinder last weekend walking, and then climbing at Windgather and loved it, definitely want to get out there running. Lynne - hope to meet you sometime with the club, I'm around some weekends as well so if you ever want a slow partner let me know. Thanks everyone, please keep any other thoughts coming.
    Great stuff Caity, look forward to seeing you at Glossop Leisure Centre next Thursday! Yes, you will be able to leave bags, there are lockers and you can also use the shower facilities post-run. Let me know which train you're heading for and we might be able to meet up at Piccadilly.
    Alison
    Ali H - Glossopdale Harriers

Re: Peak District beginner

Quote Originally Posted by Joester View Post
    Hi Dan,

Could I join you all for this sometime soon? Who is the best person to contact to let know? Are there several ability-based routes available, or do you all go out en-mass and just go at different speeds?
    Like Pat said you'd be very welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by wormstone View Post
    Great stuff Caity, look forward to seeing you at Glossop Leisure Centre next Thursday! Yes, you will be able to leave bags, there are lockers and you can also use the shower facilities post-run. Let me know which train you're heading for and we might be able to meet up at Piccadilly.
    Alison
    Hi Alison, would love to meet at Piccadilly if it suited, what train do you normally get? There's a 17:59 which gets to Glossop at 18:30, is that too late, I'm flexible next week, will take your advice. Thanks.

Thanks for all this great info, I appreciate everyone's time to write it, nice to hear from you all. Sounds like joining a club would be a good option, how to decide though?! I might give a few of them a try if that's not considered wrong! I'm near Old Trafford. Glossop training appeals if I can get the train from town straight after work, I have a car but cycle to work, so by the time I'm home and picked up the car, and sat in traffic... I can hopefully make next Thursday (away on tues unfortunately, but the following week should be ok). Can a small bag be left in the leisure centre?

Will check out those route suggestions, good idea to look up race routes, and try out-and-backs. I was on Kinder last weekend walking, and then climbing at Windgather and loved it, definitely want to get out there running. Lynne - hope to meet you sometime with the club, I'm around some weekends as well so if you ever want a slow partner let me know. Thanks everyone, please keep any other thoughts coming.
    Hi Caity,

Just come along to a club run one night, no need to pay up beforehand, we're very much a come-and-try (and see how friendly we are!) club. just drop me a PM so I can come and say hello (tho I only run Tuesdays)! if you let me know when yr coming I'll pass on a message to the club so they know to look out for you (we either loiter inside the leisure centre reception or outside - look for the runners in fell shoes!).
    we have a couple of members get the train from Manchester, one who cycles to piccadilly to get the Glossop train There's always someone's car to leave a bag in so no prob about yr bag.

and yes, I'm up for weekend runs - I'll DM you my email address so we can sort something out

Lynne

Hi Caity,
    I can recommend the area around the Roaches for running too. Parking up at Dane Bridge or Gradbach offer loads of options.
    If you are training it out the the peak district I reckon getting off at Buxton would also be a good option.
    Happy running

Tim

Hiya Caity,
    I'm one of the Glossopdalers who gets the train from Manchester (2 stops on from Picc), you can use the gym changing rooms and showers, they have lockers too, just make sure you have a pound coin (you get it back though).
    I'll be there on Thursday with my collie most likely, think there will be a good turn out with the nice weather, there was tonight anyway.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Skelton View Post
    Hiya Caity,
    I'm one of the Glossopdalers who gets the train from Manchester (2 stops on from Picc), you can use the gym changing rooms and showers, they have lockers too, just make sure you have a pound coin (you get it back though).
    I'll be there on Thursday with my collie most likely, think there will be a good turn out with the nice weather, there was tonight anyway.
    Tom
    just so you know, there could be 2 collies...Julien also runs with his dog (Brae)...though Brae stays in the car and appears at the start of a run.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
    ...and appears at the start of a run.
    and then disappears somewhere on Kinder!!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    and then disappears somewhere on Kinder!!
    ..whilst the rest of the gang are on Bleaklow...
    PS. I think Brae prefers to shower in the Downfall...or on special ocassions to drop all inhibitions and have a longer soak in Mermaids Pool...
    Last edited by OB1; 23-05-2012 at 07:30 PM.