Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Peak District beginner

Re: Peak District beginner

I did not write this, it is by Ronan Hickey on the IMRA forum but it is worthy of a bigger audience

Instructions for getting into Fell Running.

1) Get badgered into turning up to a race by mates calling you a wimp.
    2) Rock up to what you reckon is the easiest race in the calendar.
    3) Freak out at the fact that the competitors are leaner, fitter and meaner-looking than at road races. Hell, they look tough even while wearing lycra!
    4) Panic when you can't follow the route description which is blurted out at the start of the race.
    5) Die for the first 10 minutes.
    6) Think about faking an injury to be able to stop.
    7) Suddenly realise that while it's horrific it hasn't actually got any WORSE in the last 5 minutes.
    8) Reach the top.
    9) Become a kid again running down as fast as you can (note: you will redefine the word fast after seeing how the leaders do these descents)
    10) Try NOT to get an injury (cos you know we'll think you're only faking it)
    11) Finish and liberally apply batter burgers,chips and pints of Guinness
    12) Swagger a little when you casually mention the race to people in work
    13) Become obsessed with percentages, Enduro points, race profiles and marking that FECKING git who always seems to finish just in front of you but MAN is he gonna get his at the next race!
    14) Laugh like a drain when road runners complain about hilly race courses
    Last edited by DrPatrickBarry; 24-05-2012 at 01:52 PM.

Thanks again everyone. Had a really fun time running with the Glossopdale Harriers last week, and plan to go along again when I get chance. Thanks to Ali for getting the train with me, and Tom for company on the way back. As for the 'Instructions for getting into fell running' - very useful! I especially like no. 7! Thanks for posting.

DrPatrickBarry, that's wonderful advice. Particularly the batter burgers, chips and Guiness bit. Oh, and the swagger of course. From a beginner butting in on this thread, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcandy View Post
    DrPatrickBarry, that's wonderful advice. Particularly the batter burgers, chips and Guiness bit. Oh, and the swagger of course. From a beginner butting in on this thread, thanks!
    As a beginner I think I need to practise my 'swagger'
    From one beginner to another - hope you're enjoying getting started in the fell running world!

Caity & Tumbcandy you have got to read Jakesy report on his first fell race. Its a classic. He actually went for a pretty hard race for his first one.
    http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...ighlight=cader

Thanks Patrick - Jakesy's is a great story. Seems quite a different beast to me, none of my miles at 7.27 could be described as 'nice and easy' on any surface

I'm hoping that the Yorkshireman at a C3 won't be quite so intense as Cader... or is that just wishful thinking?

Man, I'm looking forward to this. I hadn't thought about etiquette, I'll need to read up on this to avoid problems.

Cheers,
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcandy View Post
    I hadn't thought about etiquette,
    I must admit it is news to me as well. I have a race in Ireland in the summer it is an out and back up a 3000 footer in Tipperary (Galteymore) so we will be meeting the race leaders on the return leg while still climbing.

Is there somewhere to read about etiquette/best practices/sportsmanship etc?

I started with Cader Idris as well. I reckon it was pretty good for a first race.

If you are coming from a road running background I would look for an out and back race or something well flagged as it limits the navigation needed. I think that the need to navigate and run is much more of a worry than the hills.

How long or hard a race you choose is really up to you, if you are fit I don't think there is any reason not to start with something hard as long as you are safe.

Jonathan

Master

Quote Originally Posted by caity View Post
    As a beginner I think I need to practise my 'swagger'
    From one beginner to another - hope you're enjoying getting started in the fell running world!
    Caity, you've not posted since this >6 months ago, and have been hiding your lamp under the FRA bushel.
    Congraultaions on your rapid progress, including the recent prize at Lambs Longer Leg!
    There, its in the open that you are a natural-born-fell-killer. Best wishes in 2013.