Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Training for Lakeland 50

Re: Training for Lakeland 50

have PM'd you Matt

P

Quote Originally Posted by that_fjell_guy View Post
    The one thing I might add to this thread is that when I did the Bullock Smithy last year I had pace notes typed out on a sheet. Basically my target time and a couple of others say 12hr, 13hr and 14 hr if aiming for 12. Then I simply divided this, in the first instance by the amount of miles to give a) a rough speed required and b) rough times for checkpoint/mile markers etc. You can get clever and adjust for terrain, but I found this adequate as a guide and it saved tricky maths when tired. You could do it in reverse and decide what speed you think you can cover the distance i.e. 12 min mile then obviously multiply that by 50.
    therein lies a problem: I honestly haven't got a scooby as to what time to expect / aim for. I have done lots of ALs and MMs, legs of BG etc but nothing this size. I would guess my current nick to be roughly 3 hr Langdale, 4.30 Duddon, (not much) sub 5 PPP + sub 6 Wasdale. Have recce'd up to half the course at around 12 hour pace more than once but been pretty goosed at the end of that. What would be a reasonably conservative overall target to work the sums from first time out? Still, why change the habits of a lifetime - I always have to learn things the hard way :wink:

cheers P

Quote Originally Posted by paulo View Post
    therein lies a problem: I honestly haven't got a scooby as to what time to expect / aim for. I have done lots of ALs and MMs, legs of BG etc but nothing this size. I would guess my current nick to be roughly 3 hr Langdale, 4.30 Duddon, (not much) sub 5 PPP + sub 6 Wasdale. Have recce'd up to half the course at around 12 hour pace more than once but been pretty goosed at the end of that. What would be a reasonably conservative overall target to work the sums from first time out? Still, why change the habits of a lifetime - I always have to learn things the hard way :wink:

cheers P
    From what you've said there I'd say around 12 hours would definitely be a reasonable target. If you managed half the course at that pace when reccying, then on the day, with the extra adrenalin, familiarity with the course, food and drink laid on (so having to carry less of your own), I think it could be sustained for the whole thing.

Pace is a hard one I suppose, but I remember trying to stay within myself as much as possible, not getting out of breath (unless it's unavoidable like on the bigger climbs), just trotting along! Towards the end it'll be your joints that really get you, I think. I remember thinking I was running like a pensioner towards the end on my first time out (not a fell-running pensioner - they'd have been runnnig a lot better!).
    Last edited by L.F.F.; 25-06-2012 at 02:25 PM.
    Josh Hubbard - Ambleside AC