Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fell Running Clubs N Wales

Fell Running Clubs N Wales

Cader Idris 2012 was my 8th fell race and I'm wondering if I'd benefit now from the experience and training etc that I'd have access to if I joined a local club. I've got plenty of room for improvement!
    I live in Wrexham, N. Wales and I know of Wrecsam Tri and Wrexham Athletics clubs but was wondering if there are any fell running specific clubs in the area?
    Also what are peoples thoughts on the advantages/disadvantages of joining a club?
    Thanks!

Re: Fell Running Clubs N Wales

I cannot help with clubs in your area, but as to joining a club a big yes from me. I was running 3 to 5 times a week on my own and was running sub 45 10k on the road, I then started running with a club and training 3 times a week I have drop to sub 39 10K and hopefully will be able to get that down a bit more.

On the hill when running alone I am circumspect, careful not to twist an ankle ect, aware that I am on my own if things go wrong it could get messy, running with club mates allows me to “open up a bit more” and push harder for longer knowing that we have each other to help if things did go wrong.

Running with runners who are a little better than you will drag you up to their level in time. With the club you will be able to do recc’y runs of events with people who have done the race before so they will give you invaluable tips for the race day. You can car share to events, have people to talk to who understand what drives you.

Just some of the advantages IMO.

ATB

Tahr
    Last edited by Tahr; 30-05-2012 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sphide View Post
    Cader Idris 2012 was my 8th fell race and I'm wondering if I'd benefit now from the experience and training etc that I'd have access to if I joined a local club. I've got plenty of room for improvement!
    I live in Wrexham, N. Wales and I know of Wrecsam Tri and Wrexham Athletics clubs but was wondering if there are any fell running specific clubs in the area?
    Also what are peoples thoughts on the advantages/disadvantages of joining a club?
    Thanks!
    I'd join a club..

Think why you want to join? what you want to get? Training nights, hill runs? track sessions? trips away? to work with a coach? social circle? weekend runs?

Head down to a few club nights and see how it goes, you don't have to join first normally.

I like a club with runners my age, like minded people, good competition, so Eryri suits me. But club wise it provides little for senior runners to be honest. Only 1 training night a week in the winter. No arranged trips away, no weekend runs etc. But informal groups, also known as cliques (I think that's what we're referred to as.. :-)), train together, arrange trips away etc so we seem a much more active club than we are. We now have an active junior section but otherwise no senior coaching like other North Wales clubs do.

We have runners from all over North Wales, even the borders, and obviously you get that club camaraderie at races but I can't see what else they get. if I didn't live in the Llanberis area I wouldn't run for Eryri, compared to other clubs I've been involved in I don't think it provides as much by a long way.

Tattenhall seem a good club, active, good runners. Buckley are more road but have a fair few fell runners. Wrexham Tri, Clwydians etc.. I don't know how active they are. Check the website and head down for a few nights. You've loads of clubs to go at around there so I wouldn't rush in and join one, just try a few out.

joining a club is always a good move.
    as of which club...well it depends on what you want,my club Eryri are by far the strongest club in the area and with the most experienced runners with a wealth of knowlage to tap into they also regularly compete in various championship race ,relays,legues etc in fell,XC and road so with plenty of team participation oppertunities.however ,as Iain says it lacks in formal trainig events,coach services etc,although this can be atributed to the geographical make up of the area and a central meeting point that would suit all.

Thanks!
    When I was living in Colwyn Bay a couple of years ago the Abergele Mysterons club were doing a bit on the fells, don't know how active they are now though.
    Last edited by Danbert Nocurry; 30-05-2012 at 12:01 PM.
    To the Regiment - I Wish I Was There

Thanks very much for all the replies so far its much appreciated that you've taken the time and effort to give your advice.
    Sounds like joining a club would be very beneficial for me; in fact so far no-ones said it would be a bad idea.
    IainR's comment about thinking why I would want to join is a very good point; certainly I was hoping to participate in training etc and to give something back by marshalling at the odd event. Tahr's comments also struck a chord, particularly the pitfalls of running alone when training and the benefits of running with slightly faster runners in terms of pushing yourself.
    I think also it would be good to tag along at a few different club nights as IainR said and see how they differ (and see if they want me!)
    Thanks again.

Why not try clwydianrangerunners.co.uk, a friendly and very active club in North Wales. ydt

Quote Originally Posted by ydt View Post
    Why not try clwydianrangerunners.co.uk, a friendly and very active club in North Wales. ydt
    Great, will do! Thanks!

Great, will do! Thanks!
    One thing, different clubs tend to be affiliated for disciplines. Eryri compete at XC, road and fell. Clwydians just fell, I think Buckley just road and XC.. Tattenhall seem all I think..

But you can chop and change, some people are members of more than 1 club, so compete on the road for us, fells for another club etc..

Again it depends what you want to do, compete with a team etc, which disciplines..

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    One thing, different clubs tend to be affiliated for disciplines. Eryri compete at XC, road and fell. Clwydians just fell, I think Buckley just road and XC.. Tattenhall seem all I think..

But you can chop and change, some people are members of more than 1 club, so compete on the road for us, fells for another club etc..

Again it depends what you want to do, compete with a team etc, which disciplines..
    and then it can get very complicated