Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Billy Blands Splits

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    Astonishing time that's for sure! Some pretty forthright views on stuff too...

http://www.fellicionado.com/2018/07/...he-sub-13-bgr/
    Personally i quite like his writing style and the fact he shares opinions with humour and no obvious intention to offend - there will always be people who like to take offence at any views that don't happen to match their views.

impressive that the guy then went and beat billy's time having said how extremely tough it would be for anyone else to beat it. good stuff.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by benshep View Post
    Personally i quite like his writing style and the fact he shares opinions with humour and no obvious intention to offend - there will always be people who like to take offence at any views that don't happen to match their views.

impressive that the guy then went and beat billy's time having said how extremely tough it would be for anyone else to beat it. good stuff.
    I have to agree with all of that ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ and from my point of view George has established a new amateur BGR record that ordinary talented amateur runners can set there sights on, leaving the professional runners record for the professional runners.

Well done George Foster
    Last edited by JohnK; 13-10-2020 at 09:43 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

That must be wrong Ben

Quote Originally Posted by benshep View Post
    there will always be people who like to take offence at any views that don't happen to match their views.

Is he the best long distance mountain runner in the UK right now then? If he isn't, who is? And what sort of time might they be capable of?
    Geoff Clarke

I've always thought it would be interesting to see what Carl Bell could do. That year he ran away from everyone at Buttermere and Wasdale was fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I've always thought it would be interesting to see what Carl Bell could do. That year he ran away from everyone at Buttermere and Wasdale was fantastic.
    Yeah, he seems like an obvious local candidate, though I recall in the immediate aftermath of KJ's record he reckoned that he'd struggle because he's never taken on food or drink on a run. Which when you think about stuff like Buttermere is as bonkers as it is brilliant.

Hard to imagine Finlay Wild wouldn't give it a good go. Smashed the RR record this summer solo and unsupported. The BGR must be quicker, but whether or not he could do it 2hrs quicker with support would be interesting to see.

Kim Collison's 24hr record must put him in contention, likewise Sasha Chepelin and his 24hr Munro record.
    Geoff Clarke

I think the difference would be how completely dialled Finlay has his Ramsey route. In his podcast I think he says he never used a map on his record run and how being solo added to his psych and confidence. But yeah it would be great to see him have a go at it.

I’d say Finlay might be the best in the UK right now, simply for volume of records he’s knocked off recently!

Carl's just become a father and has apparently been working on his dad-bod over lockdown. Also his inability to eat and lack of experience over ~4+h. But I wouldn't put it past him..

Kim managed 15h2x in winter and knows the ground. Could he knock an hour and 3/4 off it in summer? depends on dryness I suppose (his winter was frozen solid so maybe not as much to gain here?)

The route is pretty well defined now so I reckon Fin wouldn't be at much of a disadvantage at all. His palmares and standing would afford him a decent support crew if he asked. Going solo, based on his Ramsey time could he do sub-14? (I can't remember what the conversion between the 2 is - Ramsey 1/1.5h slower than BG springs to mind
    but not too sure about this.) 1h quicker would suggest 13:40 was doable solo for him.

Would love to see what Sasha and Ali Mason or the other young Edinburgers could do.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Kim Collison's winter time was 15:47. So not far off two hours, a pretty big ask, it's over one minute per kilometre or nearly two minutes per mile quicker pace.

Not many other folk with both quick summer and winter times - Andrew Berry was 10mins quicker on his winter round, 18:41, than his summer. The two were only six months apart.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

As a Statman I will be very interested to see George’s splits v Billy’s splits. It is quite feasible that he hasn’t in fact run faster than Billy, but just shaved the 9 mins out of Billy’s 22 minutes stoppage time by whistling through the road points (and not having a bonk!). That in no way is meant to denigrate a fabulous achievement by George - he did it.