Thread: Scafell descent line?

Nick Smith

Scafell descent line?

What's the collected wisdom on the best descent off Scafell? From the summit a rocky path leads down West, then turns into a grassy trod that forks off right/NW. From here I've looked at 3 lines:

Attachment 6142

1. The red line comes down a lovely wide scree slope to a wall corner, but there isn't a stile. So - cross the wall and head NW down through the fields towards the FB and car park? or perhaps follow the wall N on its right, over Lingmell Gill and then W along the stony Scafell Pike footpath?

2. The blue line takes a steeper scree line that zig-zags a bit. Not quite sure where it comes out?

3. The green line follows a more gentle grassy descent (which isn't actually all that pleasant) and eventually meets a good track that leads to the car park.

I'd like to use one of the scree options, as these seem easier on the legs, just not sure about the easiest way from the stone wall down to the car park?

Many thanks!

Re: Scafell descent line?

I took the blue line on Sunday but slightly to the right at the bottom to a stile at the field corner. There is then a trod down to the bridge. The scree isn't very nice, but we started down the steep grassy bits to the left of the scree, then crossed to descend steep grass right of the scree. That works pretty well.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Red line, stay right of wall until you meet the beck and then follow the track/path to car park?
    If you have something slippy you can slide on your arse a lot of the way down the grass towards the beck. Gives the quads a bit of respite.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    Red line, stay right of wall until you meet the beck and then follow the track/path to car park?
    If you have something slippy you can slide on your arse a lot of the way down the grass towards the beck. Gives the quads a bit of respite.
    Exactly. No need to be climbing walls. On a friends recent birthday walk from Ravenglass to Scafell Pike, we contoured above the top intake wall and crossed the 'red route' just above the wall corner. An obvious trod is beginning to appear in the grass on that descent line.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!